360 magnum crate engine question

-

shootr2506

Reaction score
Hi all I have a 360 magnum crate motor ,380 Hp motor with a 727 3800 stall , mini tubbed 8 3/4 with 373 gears in a 71 dart .is this considered a street /strip and what do you think it will run in a 1/4 mile .or do I need more motor . Thank you .bob.

Altitude will have an effect on timeslips, as will traction, or lack of, along with temperature, humidity, curb weight, etc. A guesstimate off the top of my head, should be high 12 to low 13 seconds, around 110 mph, but again, lots of variables to consider. How fast are you expecting or hoping to go?

Altitude will have an effect on timeslips, as will traction, or lack of, along with temperature, humidity, curb weight, etc. A guesstimate off the top of my head, should be high 12 to low 13 seconds, around 110 mph, but again, lots of variables to consider. How fast are you expecting or hoping to go?
I’d like to be in the 11s

Then it’s more converter and more gear.
You didn’t mention two things.

1: Altitude of where you live and what race track.
2: Current weight of vehicle.

Other good to know things would be basically everything.
You gave us almost no information!
Tire size/width
Carb size
Header size
Exhaust tubing size
How did you route your pipes and how far?
Any engine changes?

Mind readers we are not. But help, we will try to do.
Can’t effectively help if we don’t have all the information.

Take a trip to the top stickies in the racers forum and search around the 11 second zone. See if someone has been there and done that already.

The threads we’re designed to help others reach a time goal. So the posters were to have actually done that and list everything it took to get there.

Theoretical posts were deleted or should have been.

My neighbor has that engine in his Duster street/strip car meaning full interior,and full exhaust. In Vegas the density altitude is around 2500-3000.His Duster with 4.10's 3,000 converter 727 runs mid 12.40's to 12.70. He has run this 380 crate for the last 10 years and beats the hell out of the car.He does no tuning just runs it. With some TLC it should be running in the 12.20's.

I wish they still made them , i would like one for my D150. I have a 360 Magnum crate short block, 363 c.i. ( 360 30 over ) with W2 heads that went 10.40 a best in my 3150 lb. Dart ,( 750 HP carb, 1 7/8 headers thru mufflers,904, 8 inch 4800 stall converter, 4.88 gear, Cal Tracs/monoleafs) went 10.70s with cast crank ( spun brearing) then put in better rods, pistons and a steel crank, 590 lift cam, 11.5 to 1 compression made 549 hp, 450 tq on the dyno, its in the shop now being freshened and having compression lowered to 9.5 to 1 for pump gas should make around 510-520 hp. BTW the motor will be for sale upon completion

Last edited:
Your quickest way would to add a 75-100 shot of nitrous.

or more head cam cr carb etc...

I wish they still made them , i would like one for my D150. I have a 360 Magnum crate short block, 363 c.i. ( 360 30 over ) with W2 heads that went 10.40 a best in my 3150 lb. Dart ,( 750 HP carb, 1 7/8 headers thru mufflers,904, 8 inch 4800 stall converter, 4.88 gear, Cal Tracs/monoleafs) went 10.70s with cast crank ( spun brearing) then put in better rods, pistons and a steel crank, 590 lift cam, 11.5 to 1 compression made 549 hp, 450 tq on the dyno, its in the shop now being freshened and having compression lowered to 9.5 to 1 for pump gas should make around 510-520 hp. BTW the motor will be for sale upon completion
Thank you

My neighbor has that engine in his Duster street/strip car meaning full interior,and full exhaust. In Vegas the density altitude is around 2500-3000.His Duster with 4.10's 3,000 converter 727 runs mid 12.40's to 12.70. He has run this 380 crate for the last 10 years and beats the hell out of the car.He does no tuning just runs it. With some TLC it should be running in the 12.20's.
That sounds good thank you

Then it’s more converter and more gear.
You didn’t mention two things.

1: Altitude of where you live and what race track.
2: Current weight of vehicle.

Other good to know things would be basically everything.
You gave us almost no information!
Tire size/width
Carb size
Header size
Exhaust tubing size
How did you route your pipes and how far?
Any engine changes?

Mind readers we are not. But help, we will try to do.
Can’t effectively help if we don’t have all the information.

Take a trip to the top stickies in the racers forum and search around the 11 second zone. See if someone has been there and done that already.

The threads we’re designed to help others reach a time goal. So the posters were to have actually done that and list everything it took to get there.

Theoretical posts were deleted or should have been.
Thank you

I have a very similar set up but with 391s in my duster and it runs 7.40@92-93 in the 1/8 that should be around 11.70s ish in the 1/4

You really define what a street/strip car is. I don’t mind running 4.10 gear on the street, some say that is too much gear for the street. All cars can run on the strip, but not all cars can run on the street.
The question YOU need to answer is are you comfortable driving the car on the street, using it as you want? Highway driving? Higher fuel costs? Driving a distance in a louder car? More maintenance?
My car is a race car for all practical purposes, but that doesn’t mean I’m not comfortable driving the car anywhere. It ticks most of the “bad” idea boxes for a a street car. 4:10 gear, 12.2 to 1 compression,spool,marginal cooling system,3500 rpm stall converter, tuned for WOT. Can I drive 200 miles straight Yep! Is it fun? Nope.

You really define what a street/strip car is. I don’t mind running 4.10 gear on the street, some say that is too much gear for the street. All cars can run on the strip, but not all cars can run on the street.
The question YOU need to answer is are you comfortable driving the car on the street, using it as you want? Highway driving? Higher fuel costs? Driving a distance in a louder car? More maintenance?
My car is a race car for all practical purposes, but that doesn’t mean I’m not comfortable driving the car anywhere. It ticks most of the “bad” idea boxes for a a street car. 4:10 gear, 12.2 to 1 compression,spool,marginal cooling system,3500 rpm stall converter, tuned for WOT. Can I drive 200 miles straight Yep! Is it fun? Nope.

Dang. This post needs to be a sticky. Couldn't have said it better myself. I can easily handle 4.56's on the street. In HS I had 4.56's. Still do. When I do up a D60 I may go bat crap crazy and drop some 4.88's in there.

It's all about what you can live with. Some guys just don't know what they are missing.

I hi-school I drove my Duster 340 4 speed,with 5'13's !! Oh to be a kid again !

What will you be asking for it when its done?

-
Back