360 Magnum Pictures

-

Mopar Sam

Well Fed Member
Reaction score
IMG_0439.jpg
I am not much of a picture taker, but I grabbed my wife's tablet, when she wasn't looking, and took a few of my middle son's 360 we are working on. I also wanted to prove that I don't always sit on the couch,{ sometimes I fall off }.

IMG_0438.jpg

Last edited:
Pistons are sealed power h405cp 030. We square decked the block .055 on my old VN 570 with our Blok Tru. They are .015 positive deck height. He has more time than money right now so he can use the felpro 8553 gaskets and still have some quench.
IMG_0449.jpg

He bored the block .030 with the VN bar and honed it in the Kwik Way. Yes, he used the torque plate.
IMG_0451.jpg

I should mention, this is going in his 85 D100, so it is a daily driver build. We will be working around his work schedule so I will post updates as we get stuff done. We have older equipment, no CNC machines, but we enjoy the process. We have checked all the bearing clearances and installed the crank. We gapped the rings and installed one piston so far. We are going to wait until the reground cam comes, an we get the heads finished before we install the rest of the pistons. I want to check pv clearance in case we have to cut the valve pockets deeper. With the .560 lift cam.

Hate to tell you but that thing won't run for crap. You didn't use the lates and greatest machines, and certainly that hone is absolutely antique.

Hope you get my biting sarcasm. Looks great and I've used every tool you have. It's ALL ABOUT the machinist, not the machine. Glad your getting your kids motivated.

The heads will be a set of Mag. R/T heads. He picked these up off an online ad. We had to drive a little over an hour to get them. He got a complete 360 Mag with these heads for $300.He bought some other parts, I lent him some money, for yard sale prices while we were there. He sold some of those parts to pay me back and help fund the motor.
IMG_0440.jpg

We hope to have time to do the heads this week. His SI valves showed up! 2.02/1.62. I don't know why they use such a big ex. valve in the Mag heads. SI is the company that supplies Hughes Mag Valves, but they are cheaper. We are using stock length, they have them in +.100, but I do not like the geometry when I have used them before. So with the stock length the vs installed height should come in around 1.65. He will be using a hyd roller cam. The springs will be Lunati #73949 which have 120# @ 1.65 and coil bind @.950. I can't remember the open pressure , but it was mid 300s at his cam lift.
IMG_0441.jpg
IMG_0444.jpg
IMG_0444.jpg

The cam will be a regrind with 232 IN / 232 / EX @050 on a 112, .353 lobe lift. We will just mill the heads enough to clean them up. Compression should end up a tad over 10:1. We will know for sure when we get the heads finished and measure every thing.

Hate to tell you but that thing won't run for crap. You didn't use the lates and greatest machines, and certainly that hone is absolutely antique.

Hope you get my biting sarcasm. Looks great and I've used every tool you have. It's ALL ABOUT the machinist, not the machine. Glad your getting your kids motivated.

YR, Yes I got it! Made me laugh! It does take time to set things up, but that is some of the satisfaction of doing this. It is just not the best way to try to make money, we stopped doing work late last year, and frankly, I was completely burned out, working construction during the day, and machining at night, I decided to hang it up. This project is just for an old truck, but I finally look forward to walking into the shop again. I have three sons, and we decided to only work on our own projects from now on. BTW, I tell my sons when we are working on motors, "If we go slow now, we will go fast later."

I Know some people, and their son['s] would not approve, but, to know how much to mill off the decks for the height we wanted, we measured how far in the hole one of the stock pistons was, we then pressed it off the rod, and measured the difference between the stock piston and one of the new piston's pin height. We then then did the simple math to set up on the 570. Believe it or not, it came out right. Crude, huh?

I Know some people, and their son['s] would not approve, but, to know how much to mill off the decks for the height we wanted, we measured how far in the hole one of the stock pistons was, we then pressed it off the rod, and measured the difference between the stock piston and one of the new piston's pin height. We then then did the simple math to set up on the 570. Believe it or not, it came out right. Crude, huh?

But it WORKS!!!!

Wish I had all the neat toys you got to play with.
I have a wonderful wife who never cared, even encouraged me, to buy machines when I would find a good deal. I have a good friend who used to own his own semi and trailer, he had worked in a shop when he was younger. Because of this, I was able to bid on stuff on ebay in other states. I would send him with cash, he would check out the equipment and bring them back for me. Since he would find a load going, and then load my stuff in the front of his trailer, he could usually find a smaller load to bring back to IN. This saved me a ton, not having to pay shipping. of coarse he can and does use my stuff when he wants!

looking good! I always wondered why these heads does not show up more often....must have been sold in low numbers? Should run pretty well with your treatment.

Michael

Forgot to mention, I got an email yesterday that the cam is on the way.

Can't for the life of me take a decent picture of the roughed in valve job.This is the best pic. out of several. Still need to sweep the chamber and maybe sink the bowl hog a little deeper. Then of course do the exhausts.

IMG_0484.jpg

Can't for the life of me take a decent picture of the roughed in valve job.This is the best pic. out of several. Still need to sweep the chamber and maybe sink the bowl hog a little deeper. Then of course do the exhausts.

View attachment 1715399287

Love that nice top cut.

Just as a reminder, you realize that seat and guide machine is straight junk don't you? You can't cut a seat with that old, decrepit, ratchet looking machine don't you? You do realize your just pissing power out the ports because the valves won't seal don't you???

A little Thursday afternoon sarcasm for you. Looks very nice.

Love that nice top cut.

Just as a reminder, you realize that seat and guide machine is straight junk don't you? You can't cut a seat with that old, decrepit, ratchet looking machine don't you? You do realize your just pissing power out the ports because the valves won't seal don't you???

A little Thursday afternoon sarcasm for you. Looks very nice.

Thanks YR,
You may know it, but it is an old DCM Tech , I actually have two of them, came from an old guy in Kentucky. The tooling that came with them, all sunnen, was worth way more than what I paid for the package deal. They use R8 collets like a Bridgeport, and the table is super rigid.

BTW, I hate calling things "old" that are almost 20 years newer than me.

Thanks YR,
You may know it, but it is an old DCM Tech , I actually have two of them, came from an old guy in Kentucky. The tooling that came with them, all sunnen, was worth way more than what I paid for the package deal. They use R8 collets like a Bridgeport, and the table is super rigid.

BTW, I hate calling things "old" that are almost 20 years newer than me.

Yup. I've run a couple of those. One was outfitted with the auto level table or whatever they called it. You just put the level on the pilot and hit a button and it leveled itself. Pretty cool really.

They are nice, rigid machines. That's much more important than age.

Yup. I've run a couple of those. One was outfitted with the auto level table or whatever they called it. You just put the level on the pilot and hit a button and it leveled itself. Pretty cool really.

I would like to see one of those auto level tables! Somewhere around here I have a book with a picture of a vertical line bore setup they made for these machines. If you haven't seen that let me know and I will see if I can find it.

I would like to see one of those auto level tables! Somewhere around here I have a book with a picture of a vertical line bore setup they made for these machines. If you haven't seen that let me know and I will see if I can find it.

I'd love to see that!

-
Back