360 magnum with chevy roller rockers

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

dustoff440

Reaction score
Has anyone here done the chevy roller rocker mod on the 360 magnum?
I would be interested in your results???

Just did the Crane conversion. Added 1.5 comp rockers. Shimmed the hydraulic lifter solid(eliminate plunger movement. Did a mock up,with the stock magnum push rod. Way too short. Have to order,a adjustable push rod.

No, I bet it would work though, lots of similarities between a 350 and a 360. Just check your measurements.

Hacked a stock push rod.Tapped 10/32 machine thread.Ended up ,needing a shorter push rod. Crane lists 6.820 long,with 1.6's. Have a ford push rod,to try Monday.

Just did the Crane conversion. Added 1.5 comp rockers. Shimmed the hydraulic lifter solid(eliminate plunger movement. Did a mock up,with the stock magnum push rod. Way too short. Have to order,a adjustable push rod.

What did you do to shim the lifter to solid?
I assume this is removed after push rod length is determied.

Pulled the spring, and the check valve/plunger. Went to Ace hardware,picked up some 5/16" lock washers. Mocked it up,until the push rod seat was solid and snug.(against the retainer clip.). Hopefully,the washers don't leave any impression. If not reassemble the internals,re-useable.

Pulled the spring, and the check valve/plunger. Went to Ace hardware,picked up some 5/16" lock washers. Mocked it up,until the push rod seat was solid and snug.(against the retainer clip.). Hopefully,the washers don't leave any impression. If not reassemble the internals,re-useable.

Makes sense to me, why the lock washers instead of flat unless the od was an issue?

Here are some pics, I just threw them on to see how they looked. They are 1.6 and self aligning. I'm using guide plates too, I'm a little anal, LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,873
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,717
Above pics,look sweet. Good luck. Sire land,the lock washers ,fit the best.(Against the inside lifter bore. I did find,the washers would pre load,.015"-.020". Kind of cool.

Robbie2734, what guide plates and studs did you use? any machining/drilling or tapping the hole to 3/8"? stock Magnum heads? Thanks! Bob

Robbie2734, what guide plates and studs did you use? any machining/drilling or tapping the hole to 3/8"? stock Magnum heads? Thanks! Bob

The guide plates are from Hughes. The studs are 7/16ths and drilled and tapped by the machine shop. The guide plates stud holes are big enough to give adjustment with the 7/16th studs. The heads came from the shop, they are new heavy castings with plenty of meat. The guy that did the bowl work was impressed with the flow and no...I don't have any numbers. I can't wait to fire this thing up now.

A couple of things to think about. All chevy sb rockers are NOT the same length,be careful to determine if you will have issues with your setup. Crower has a nice rocker that seems to fit well although pretty pricey. A couple of years ago I installed a set of 1.7 Crowers on a friends 360 magnum to replace the factory rockers and the gains were pretty hard to find. Don't do this unless you must because in many combo's the gains will be too slight to see on the track. Thats JMO I was doing this swap 20yrs ago with thoughts of big gains.LOL

The guide plates are from Hughes. The studs are 7/16ths and drilled and tapped by the machine shop. The guide plates stud holes are big enough to give adjustment with the 7/16th studs. The heads came from the shop, they are new heavy castings with plenty of meat. The guy that did the bowl work was impressed with the flow and no...I don't have any numbers. I can't wait to fire this thing up now.
Got a pic of those studs out of the head?

A couple of things to think about. All chevy sb rockers are NOT the same length,be careful to determine if you will have issues with your setup. Crower has a nice rocker that seems to fit well although pretty pricey. A couple of years ago I installed a set of 1.7 Crowers on a friends 360 magnum to replace the factory rockers and the gains were pretty hard to find. Don't do this unless you must because in many combo's the gains will be too slight to see on the track. Thats JMO I was doing this swap 20yrs ago with thoughts of big gains.LOL

I'm not looking for big power, I got a great deal on the rockers. We got one and did the mock-up and it fell in perfectly. The wipe pattern was on the money. The only problem was I had to use the 7/16th's studs. The original rockers are 1.6 on the mag heads so I kept the same ratio to keep it simple.

Why would someone go from a 1.6:1 to 1.5:1 Rocker arm on a Magnum?

Why would someone go from a 1.6:1 to 1.5:1 Rocker arm on a Magnum?
Depends on the valvetrain,more stability would be the first guess,followed by the higher ratio's did not improve output.

I used the Hughes guide plates and studs on my Magnum heads. I bought Crane SBC 1.6 roller rockers for it too. I had to install lash caps on the valve tips to get the roller to scrub across the valve on center.
I did that about six years ago now and have had no problems.

Has anyone here done the chevy roller rocker mod on the 360 magnum?
I would be interested in your results???
started doing it about 20yrs ago. Is there magic in this swap? NO! Of course if your running a solid valvetrain you need adjustability,but for a simple hyd setup I wouldn't waste the time. Recently (for a customer) went from the factory rockers to a very sweet set of Crower stainless enduro rockers 1.7 ratio and saw little to no gains on the track. There are easy gains and not so easy gains to be had.

Long story. Ran a "Retro grind" LA roller. 520/515 ",on a 1.5. Pegged, the Hughes 1110 springs. Went the Crane conversion. Ordered 1.5 Comp rollers. Ground on them. Life is happy,now.Some times ,valve events,kick ***,over pure lift...

Here are some pics, I just threw them on to see how they looked. They are 1.6 and self aligning. I'm using guide plates too, I'm a little anal, LOL

Are you comfortable with that? I wouldn't be. You're really not supposed to run self aligning rickers and guide plates together. It's not necessary for one and two in your instance, look how close the aligining tabs are to the retainers. If they contact the retainers it could very well unkey a valve. That just might suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back