360 on the dyno

-
Good solid engine. In a decent chassis that would run mid-high 12's all day long in the mid 100's mph. Had a similar 360 build with a XE268h, LD and 750DP and it ran 107.5 IIRC in crappy air in Las Vegas. 350hp/400tq

Go have fun with it!

Post is very encouraging as I'm hoping to match those TQ numbers down low, my heap spends most of it's time booting around town or on the highway. I don't wind it up to more than 5k rpm very often... no need. Rev limiter is set to 5500. So max HP not a concern for me.

I'm up at 5k ft. elevation and it's possible I might hit it with EFI. Getting and keeping the carb dialed in can be a chore. Seeing the diff between the 2 carbs is very helpful. I have a 750 DP I pulled off my 390 I was thinking of tossing on to see if it made a difference. Not going to bother now. OP just saved me some tuning time. :thumbsup:

I'm picking my ride up from the transmission shop on Monday, 727 was bleeding. My 360LA has the midler 268H cam (.450~.450) and less duration @.050 to boot. Will be replacing the original cast heads with a set of Promaxx 63cc closed chamber, 1.6 ratio Harland Sharps rockers (will add .030 lift)and an Air Gap intake topped with a 625 Holley vac. sec. carb. CR should be just under or at 9:1 with a stock thickness gasket.

fetch?id=5417&d=1644605276.png

If I can come close to the numbers in the OP's build I'll be very happy.

Last edited:
Post is very encouraging as I'm hoping to match those TQ numbers down low, my heap spends most of it's time booting around town or on the highway. I don't wind it up to more than 5k rpm very often... no need. Rev limiter is set to 5500. So max HP not a concern for me.

I'm up at 5k ft. elevation and it's possible I might hit it with EFI. Getting and keeping the carb dialed in can be a chore. Seeing the diff between the 2 carbs is very helpful. I have a 750 DP I pulled off my 390 I was thinking of tossing on to see if it made a difference. Not going to bother now. OP just saved me some tuning time. :thumbsup:

I'm picking my ride up from the transmission shop on Monday, 727 was bleeding. My 360LA has the midler 268H cam (.450~.450) and less duration @.050 to boot. Will be replacing the original cast heads with a set of Speedmaster 63cc closed chamber, 1.6 ratio Harland Sharps rockers (will add .030 lift)and an Air Gap intake topped with a 625 Holley vac. sec. carb. CR should be just under or at 9:1 with a stock thickness gasket.

View attachment 1715915054

If I can come close to the numbers in the OP's build I'll be very happy.

The engine I posted was done on the dyno at about 5300.

Was the block decked significantly... how far were the slugs in the hole? Good TQ numbers down low where it will spend most of it's life.
The block was not decked at all. The pistons were .050 in the hole. 10cc 4 valve reliefs. Heads cc'd surprisingly low at 67cc I believe. Stock early 1971 360 heads.

This photo of the Silver 360 is a stock deck height, with .030 over stock style pistons.

"Stock" seems to be a relative term with 360 LA blocks.... I've read of measurements on untouched blocks from .050 to well over .100.
:lol:

"Stock" seems to be a relative term with 360 LA blocks.... I've read of measurements on untouched blocks from .050 to well over .100.
:lol:
I noticed that there isn't much activity going on, no new questions and no comments on anything.

Stock 360 Truck Pistons

Notice the heavy duty wrist pin support castings with the large oil holes to provide lubrication to the pressed on wrist pins.

Resized_20210710_160432_169.jpeg

Stock 360 Truck Pistons

Notice the heavy duty wrist pin support castings with the large oil holes to provide lubrication to the pressed on wrist pins.

View attachment 1715917110
I've always liked the factory original cast pistons. Very heavy duty. They will take a lot more abuse than they are given credit for. Especially "those".

If folks want to squeeze a little more compression out of the stock 360s, can try the thin .028 ths Mr. Gasket 318 head gaskets that will also fit the 360s.

Thinner and smaller circumference at the bore equals a little more compression. As compared To the Stock replacement Felpros at .045 ths.

Stated good to 11:1 compression.

Screenshot_20210713-203352_Chrome.jpg

Yes stock pistons are dished. 1976 360 here out of a '76 W200 truck.

View attachment 1715917651

Believe it is an 8.0 - 8.5:1 compression ratio piston engine.

Thanks for confirming, sounds about right on the CR from what I have read. Got my ride back from the trans shop yesterday. Will take it for a shakedown up to Lake Tahoe this afternoon to ensure the new converter is not building too much heat like the previous unit.

Will likely be tearing my 360 down this weekend. Biggest anxiety point is the deck height and whether or not I'll have any valve clearance issues using the 1.6 ratio rockers I picked up. These posts are very helpful... thx!

-
Back