360 or 440

-

pressedham

Reaction score
Have a choice of purchasing a 360 or a 440.
My son is building a 68 swinger. Will be for street.
The price is right for both.
727 comes with the 440 which has 50k on it and runs.
Any recomendations.

Either of those motors are an excellent choice. If it's strictly street, I think I'd be inclined to go with the 360, since the installation will be a lot easier, and the front end weight will be lighter for better handling. I'm probably a little biased since I run a 360 in my 66 Valiant, but that thing can still scare me sometimes on the street. :) If he has any intention of winter driving in Ottawa definitely go with the SB. I drove mine for a couple of winters in Edmonton when I still had the 318 in it years ago - fun and games!! :)

Sid

for a son like I was, the 440 would have been big trouble..lol. In fact, I refused to sell a 383 Swinger I had to an 17yr old kid..I had to take the father for a ride and demonstarte how much of a handful a good big block Abody can be. The 360 is easier to fit and work on, and is plenty for a fun street/strip car.

BIG BLOCK BIG BLOCK olny because im a teen an i love to smoke the hell outa kids in 350 chebby's an pull up to lights with the ground pounding sound of a BIG BLOCK A BODY
MIKE

THEWHITEZOMBIE said:
BIG BLOCK BIG BLOCK olny because im a teen an i love to smoke the hell outa kids in 350 chebby's an pull up to lights with the ground pounding sound of a BIG BLOCK A BODY
MIKE

And that why you dont want your son to have the 440, LOL

Id say go with the 440, 360s are a dime a dozen. Mild 440 is streetable and will hold its own with a built 360. plus you get that 727. your his dad, show him not to act like a fool with it and im sure he'll listen

I'd go for the 360 for a street car. Like the others have said easier to install and less weight ont the front end.

He is 21 now.
Our insurance regulations wont allow him to drive until he is 25 anyway.
Will be a four year project. Probably will do 360.
Thanks for the advice.

I'd do the 360 for the following reasons;

Easy bolt in.
Slightly cheaper than a big block.
Slightly better handleing than a big block.
Lighter in weight from the get go or even when aluminum is swap in.

The big block has it's advantages as well starting with a much larger dispalcement. But all in all, it would be a tad more expensive and a little harder to do.

Thanks, 360 it is.
This guy also has a 354 hemi he is trying to flog.
I am not interested in this motor but does anyone know anything
about it. A friend of mine wants to buy it but he wants $2000CDN for it.
I thought that was kinda high.

That's very "kinda high", IMO. I would figure on spending $5-700US on a complete running core.

-
Back