360 Prep

-

Johnny Dart

Reaction score
Getting a LA 360 prepped to go to the machine shop.
I've chassed all the threads, wire brushed coolant passengers, and cleaned up some of the casting left behind. A little bit of my handy work. The block will be going in next week.

IMG_20210822_112203955.jpg

IMG_20210822_112209206.jpg

IMG_20210822_120958370.jpg

IMG_20210822_120948904.jpg

P_20210822_144052_LL.jpg

That is a good start to your project. What will the machine shop be doing? Will they hot tank the engine? Did you pull the freeze/drain plugs and flush the engine and brush the orifices out?

Just in case - a friendly reminder to remove and later replace the oil passage plug between the rear main and oil pressure fitting hole by the distributor.

That is a good start to your project. What will the machine shop be doing? Will they hot tank the engine? Did you pull the freeze/drain plugs and flush the engine and brush the orifices out?

All the above, plus magnaflux.
The motor is on the stock bore. I'm hoping a little honing will work. Its a good shop, and my buddy is the manager. I usually take his lead, on what's necessary.

1. That is a good start to your project. What will the machine shop be doing? Will they hot tank the engine? Did you pull the freeze/drain plugs and flush the engine and brush the orifices out?

i go through the passages with coat hanger wire and brake loose stuff off. Look carefully down passages with all plug out. Make sure bores have opening between them without a rust scale bridge.

The blocks i and others have done this to seem not to have overheating.

these new epa hot tanks don’t work well. And these have 40+ years of sediment. Plus a lot of California people don’t keep up changing coolant sense it never freezes here. And as result there no anti rust in the mixture.

Not as nice as your engine bays, but nice. lol

make sure you knock out those cam bearings....oops one pic looks like you did :icon_fU:

One thing my brother does on the cosworth 4 cylinder race blocks is drill, tap and face the block edge at the core plugs. This way a small washer can be screwed in to hold the lip of the core/freeze plugs in place. One on each side of the plug. This way you never have one pop out.

-
Back