360 small block 73 dart

-

Dodge Shart

Reaction score
Having troubles with this build I have the 360 fully in running. The transmission is a 318
a904-la model. I used the 360 flex plate balanced for the motor. Attached it to the 318 converter. I now have the bolts hitting the dust cover, I took off the dust cover. Now I believe it is hitting the block somewhere. Need advice on what steps I should take next. Trying to avoid transmission shop in my area. I have called some and most say it cant be done. I believe there is something out there.

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

Last edited:
If you used the correct bolts, it won't hit. Got any pics of it?

And the flexplate bolted right on; no mods required?

The factory bolts are a low-profile design

If the TC is not properly indexed to the pump, the pump will push the TC forward into the back of the engine .
When properly installed,the TC will sit rearward of the bellhouse face and after the trans and engine have been mated, you will have to pull the TC forward,to get it to mate to the flexplate. Is this how it went for you?
If yes, then I would suspect a TC bolt is hitting the cam plug, possibly because it is in backwards. Or one of the galley plugs, possibly because wrong one installed or not fully screwed in.
If you get one flywheel attaching bolt lined up down at about 6-o'clock when the crank stops turning, then I would bet that bolt at near 12 O'clock is hitting something up there, and you will have to remove the trans to fix it.
That's all I got
Sorry

Last edited:
I cant get the pics imported on my mac yet operater error problems haha. It did not bolt up directly one bolt I had to drill a spot on the flexplate. 3 bolts direct fit 1 bolt was off by less then a quarter inch.

If the TC is not properly indexed to the pump, the pump will push the TC forward into the back of the engine .
When properly installed,the TC will sit rearward of the bellhouse face and after the trans and engine have been mated, you will have to pull the TC forward,to get it to mate to the flexplate. Is this how it went for you?
If yes, then I would suspect a TC bolt is hitting the cam plug, possibly because it is in backwards. Or one of the galley plugs, possibly because wrong one installed or not fully screwed in.

yes it does sit forward more then it did with the 318.

318 converter will not work with a 360....

318 converter is neutral and 360 is external balance.

Dont do it!

Also looks like your flex plate is on backwards....

Dont do it
any idea of what converter to buy? That will work with the torque plate and 904-la tranny?

Dont do it!

Also looks like your flex plate is on backwards....
You are incorrect, the magnum 360 flexplate has the weight welded to it, therefor it works fine with a neutral ballance converter, like he has

Okay, so it's the magnum 360 flexplate...ok that's good, perfectly fine, the bolts LOOK correct for torque converter, are they all tight?
Yes, there are still all tight. One of the bolts did not rub and the three others did rub si it must be wobbling some how.

yes same ones, they have a imprinted N on each bolt.
I would try to look up between bellhousing and block, and see if there is anything protruding like was previously mentioned, and have you checked what kind of thrust play you have on crankshaft? Was it in a manual transmission before?

If you get one flywheel attaching bolt lined up down at about 6-o'clock when the crank stops turning, then I would bet that bolt at near 12 O'clock is hitting something up there, and you will have to remove the trans to fix it.
That's all I got
Sorry

This is what I thought almost immediately, improperly installled converter, but one should have caught that during installation, but then again I have done it when I was just a lad...call it experience :)

I would try to look up between bellhousing and block, and see if there is anything protruding like was previously mentioned, and have you checked what kind of thrust play you have on crankshaft? Was it in a manual transmission before?
No I believe it was strictly auto but over years who can really tell.

This is what I thought almost immediately, improperly installled converter, but one should have caught that during installation, but then again I have done it when I was just a lad...call it experience :)
yes but when installing the converter went in as far as it would go. Then i bolted the torque plate on and could have shifted it forward a little. Having the experience would help a lot.

Sometimes it feels like the converter is in all the way but it's not. It should be well away from the flex plate when bolting the trans up.

It can be helpful to have someone rotate the output shaft while you spin the converter and push in.

Sometimes it feels like the converter is in all the way but it's not. It should be well away from the flex plate when bolting the trans up.

It can be helpful to have someone rotate the output shaft while you spin the converter and push in.
I will give that a go. If the flex plate is fixed to its spot would it just move the converter forward or with the converter stay further back when pushed in all the way.

-
Back