360 street cam for 'the usual upgrades'

-
I think those are good recommendations. You could even go down a step in cam size. IF you had an automatic trans, there is one question for you guys that have one. Is changing a torque converter out to a higher stall in the plan’s or OK with you?

From my experience on what I have done with otherwise dead stock engines and cam swaps is that the torque converter is good to go if the cam is kept small. The only difference in what I have done vs. your current ride is tire size, which helps allow a larger cam. My smallest tire was still larger than what you have now.

To that end, this set of combinations has been used;

‘79 - 318 with bolt on’s w/a 904, stock converter, 215/70/15 tires & 3.21 gears used a cam of 218/226@050 under .500 lift with no converter change worked well.

10.8-1 - 360 uses a (Hyd. roller) cam of 226/234@050 w/3.55 gears and 26 inch tires with a 2500 stall.

Now back to the fact you have a 4spd trans!

*I think* you can get away with RRR cam recommendation and no converter change out due to the small tire. I myself, playing it safe and since you have a low compression engine would opt. for the first and smaller cam I mentioned above. It’ll make power to 5500 with the rest of the bolt on parts listed and spin tires for yards and yards.

The biggest issue is the low compression of the engine.
Adjusting that cheaply would be head milling (and probably the intake there after) to get a bit more squeeze in there. This keeps the engine and cam combo efficient and torque up. It will not have that soft soggy low end which would be short lived with small cams but ever present.
He is running the manual 833 Rob. :)

He is running the manual 833 Rob. :)
Yep Yepper!!!!

10.8-1 - 360 uses a (Hyd. roller) cam of 226/234@050 w/3.55 gears and 26 inch tires with a 2500 stall.

Now back to the fact you have a 4spd trans!

*I think* you can get away with RRR cam recommendation.....

EZ 2 miss with long AJ like replies.
:lol:

I went with the Lunati 10200702LK. The motor however, is still on the stand so I can not offer a review.

The cam I had been using was the Comp 268H. I must say the car performed admirably given its issues.

Good luck.

-
Back