360 Stroker Combo Build Questions

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My '69 Dart came with a new 380HP 360 Mopar crate engine when I bought it a couple of years ago. I've been collecting parts since then and hope to get it together and on the road in 2010.
I planned on going through the crate motor anyway to verify all is to spec. Now I'm thinking of maybe a head change and possible stroker build using the same cam that came with the motor. From other threads I've seen the Mopar hydraulic roller cam was Mopar # P4876348. The Mopar advertised Duration is 288/292 with the .050-duration being 230/234. Lift is .501 on the Intake and .513 on the Exhaust using the stock 1.6 rockers. Center Line is 108 and Over Lap is 74-degrees.
Planning to use either 750 or 850 cfm annular vacuum secondary carb.

OK guys. Here's my questions for those of you with new batteries for your 'engine-build' crystal balls:
* What kind of HP/Torque numbers do you think if I may get if I go with a set of Indy MAX heads with 2.02-dia. intake valves and boost the compression to 10:1 from the existing 9:1?
* Go with the above heads and a 408ci stroker kit?
* Go with the above heads and a 426ci stroker kit?
* Go with the above heads and a 440ci stroker kit?

I know this is all 'crystal ball' guessing. Kinda looking for best bang for the buck. Car is going to be a weekend car with a trip to the strip maybe 2-3 times per year.
Other planned mods are 727 reverse manual shift trans, 8-3/4 Sure-Grip with either 3.91 or 4.10 gears with a gear-vendors overdrive for semi-comfortable freeway cruising.

Again, still in planning stages but only want to build one-time the right way.

Thanks for you input!!!

My '69 Dart came with a new 380HP 360 Mopar crate engine when I bought it a couple of years ago. I've been collecting parts since then and hope to get it together and on the road in 2010.
I planned on going through the crate motor anyway to verify all is to spec. Now I'm thinking of maybe a head change and possible stroker build using the same cam that came with the motor. From other threads I've seen the Mopar hydraulic roller cam was Mopar # P4876348. The Mopar advertised Duration is 288/292 with the .050-duration being 230/234. Lift is .501 on the Intake and .513 on the Exhaust using the stock 1.6 rockers. Center Line is 108 and Over Lap is 74-degrees.
Planning to use either 750 or 850 cfm annular vacuum secondary carb.

OK guys. Here's my questions for those of you with new batteries for your 'engine-build' crystal balls:
* What kind of HP/Torque numbers do you think if I may get if I go with a set of Indy MAX heads with 2.02-dia. intake valves and boost the compression to 10:1 from the existing 9:1?
* Go with the above heads and a 408ci stroker kit?
* Go with the above heads and a 426ci stroker kit?
* Go with the above heads and a 440ci stroker kit?

I know this is all 'crystal ball' guessing. Kinda looking for best bang for the buck. Car is going to be a weekend car with a trip to the strip maybe 2-3 times per year.
Other planned mods are 727 reverse manual shift trans, 8-3/4 Sure-Grip with either 3.91 or 4.10 gears with a gear-vendors overdrive for semi-comfortable freeway cruising.

Again, still in planning stages but only want to build one-time the right way.

Thanks for you input!!!

If you go with the Indybrock heads, you can have them ported later...10:1 is a good choice.
I would use a 4" crank and be done. I use Scat cranks and I beam rods...lighter bobweight and all the reliability you need.
I would use at least 240 @.050 on the intake and 250 on the exhaust and with 1.6 rockers you can get .600 lift pretty easy.
If you use a tall gear then go with the rpm intake, if you use a low gear use a super victor intake.
When your done maybe bring it down and we'll dyno it. I know Louis aka maddart is glad he did!!

If you go with the Indybrock heads, you can have them ported later...10:1 is a good choice.
I would use a 4" crank and be done. I use Scat cranks and I beam rods...lighter bobweight and all the reliability you need.
I would use at least 240 @.050 on the intake and 250 on the exhaust and with 1.6 rockers you can get .600 lift pretty easy.
If you use a tall gear then go with the rpm intake, if you use a low gear use a super victor intake.
When your done maybe bring it down and we'll dyno it. I know Louis aka maddart is glad he did!!

How good are the cast stroker cranks?

The only problem with the crate engines that are Magnum head based could be (IDK 4 sure) are the blocks not being able to feed "LA" style cylinder heads with oil.

Is this the case with the blocks? If so, cylinder head selection is limited. I feel the Edelbrock head (Magnum style) will take care of most street and street strip duty engines.

I like ou812's suggestions.

Mopar 440ci smallblock crate motor. 540hp, 550lbs/ft.
Here's the link:
http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/P5153523.asp

Pretty sure that would have to be an aftermarket block. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I have a .040 over factory 340 block with a 4.082 bore that has some pretty thin walls after sonic check. I'm thinking the walls would be see through at a 4.180 bore on my block.

-
Back