360 stroker how much HP is picked up if everything else stays the same?

-

Reaction score
Planning next engine. current engine is 360 12:1 (actual), STX-21 cam, W-2 heads with pocket porting, Holley W2 intake, 4:56 gears. car weighs 3100 w/ driver. this motors dyno'd at 510HP
maybe a little more now with better carb. current best is 10.64 at 125.
So if I leave everything the same, and install stroker kit 416, how much do you think I would pick up?
Thanks,
Greg

I’m going to say about .15-.20 in the 1/4.
I agree with PR I bet it is good for a .2 improvement as long as your traction is solid?
Great to see ya back in the mix John! I was thinking about you this week as I was wrestling my Cuda home from an impromptu local car show. Thinking what a moron I was for driving a drag car thru town in the rain just to support some local effort. Don’t even have windshield wipers much less a motor for them, spooled 433 rear end, “street “ legal tires pouring down rain, trying to get home before dark. Not my brightest move.

The hp/tq increase will be roughly equal to the cu in increase, perhaps a little less.

Thanks Guys,
now just have to decide between a stroker, or R3 with a roller with Indy heads, or R3 with a roller with my W2 heads.

I just saw a show on this using a 360 with nothing changed but it was totally stock engine it picked up 40 lb ,30hp 360 mag eng

For some kind of an idea…..
Watch all of them, the third one for sure.

I look at it like this. 510 HP from 360 CI yields 1.417 HP per CI. So if you increase the CI by 50, 50 x 1.417 = 71 more HP if the HP per CI stayed about the same. It probably won't, though. I would guess you'd pick up about 50-55 if everything else stayed the same.

I agree with PR I bet it is good for a .2 improvement as long as your traction is solid?
Great to see ya back in the mix John! I was thinking about you this week as I was wrestling my Cuda home from an impromptu local car show. Thinking what a moron I was for driving a drag car thru town in the rain just to support some local effort. Don’t even have windshield wipers much less a motor for them, spooled 433 rear end, “street “ legal tires pouring down rain, trying to get home before dark. Not my brightest move.
Yeah Brother! Yes Hawww!!!!!!! I'd have done The Same Damn Thing!!!!!!! Kick *** Man!

For this very reason the duster never goes out with a cloud in the sky...

I just saw a show on this using a 360 with nothing changed but it was totally stock engine it picked up 40 lb ,30hp 360 mag eng

if it’s the same one I saw, they changed the CR by like 2 points,
Which would account for most if not the all hp and some of the torque gain.

Technically increase in cid should only raise torque.

Theoretically Cid change should give only more torque. Torque is basically one powerstroke and hp is all the powerstroke added up, why I say basically because torque has no movement but it's a good way to see it. Static displacement aka 340 440 540 etc.. But a running engine has dynamic displacement Cid x rpm / 3456 = cfm, is how much air your engine can displace per minute. Bore heads cam etc... Aka air flow is what gives power if you don't change them larger displacements should trade rpm for torque basically evening out, same hp. Now obviously there's other factors involved since were generally talking generic parts head ports cam timings etc.. They may and probably will favor one application over the other.

Last edited:
This is why I gave an ET pickup instead of horsepower. In my eyes and I’m not a school taught engineer torque moves mass. With the ability to move mass quicker and easier you go faster at a usable rpm.

Last edited:
Just did this. Went from a 360 to a 418. Same car, heads, cam, carb, headers, gears, vert, etc.
Only significant difference was more compression with stroker.
360 best, 11.26, 418 best 10.77

I ask noted Mopar engine builder Ken Hensley this very question over 20 years ago.
His answer, 3 or 4 tenths.

Last edited:
This is why I gave an ET pickup instead of horsepower. In my eyes and I’m not a school taught engineer torque moves mass. With the ability to move mass quicker and easier you go faster at a usable rpm.

Torque sells magazines and makes guys feel better. Horsepower moves the car. That’s just how it works.

I’m glad I never worried about horsepower numbers. Draw up a plan, follow the plan, execute the plan. And go have FUN.

I'd go with the R3 with a roller and Indy or W2's
It isn't worth a stroker build for 2-3 tenths. to me anyway
I'd be thinking over 5 tenths to a full second before I pulled the combo apart

Technically increase in cid should only raise torque.
Technically? Horse ****!
You contradict yourself. HP is torque. So, if you increase torque, you have increased HP.

Thanks Rumblefish, These are awesome!
I try… sometimes…. LOL! Glad to help.

Theoretically Cid change should give only more torque. Torque is basically one powerstroke and hp is all the powerstroke added up, why I say basically because torque has no movement but it's a good way to see it. Static displacement aka 340 440 540 etc.. But a running engine has dynamic displacement Cid x rpm / 3456 = cfm, is how much air your engine can displace per minute. Bore heads cam etc... Aka air flow is what gives power if you don't change them larger displacements should trade rpm for torque basically evening out, same hp. Now obviously there's other factors involved since were generally talking generic parts head ports cam timings etc.. They may and probably will favor one application over the other.
You are mental.
Torque sells magazines and makes guys feel better. Horsepower moves the car. That’s just how it works.
Actually, they all say, HP blurbs sell the mag.

I’m glad I never worried about horsepower numbers. Draw up a plan, follow the plan, execute the plan. And go have FUN.

Technically? Horse ****! You contradict yourself. HP is torque. So, if you increase torque, you have increased HP.

No I'm not, yes maybe at the same rpm but a 408 and 360 will have different powerbands so a 360 and 408 could have the same power curve but different rpms eg. 360 4000-7000 rpm vs 408 3500 - 6500 rpm.

You are mental.
No

Actually, they all say, HP blurbs sell the mag.
Torque has no movement, soon as the crank moves (rpm) we're talking Power, and Power does everything.

Just did this. Went from a 360 to a 418. Same car, heads, cam, carb, headers, gears, vert, etc.
Only significant difference was more compression with stroker.
360 best, 11.26, 418 best 10.77

I ask noted Mopar engine builder Ken Hensley this very question over 20 years ago.
His answer, 3 or 4 tenths.

"Same heads, cam, carb, headers, gears, vert, etc." All these thing will work different with different displacements, rod ratio's, torque, rpm etc.. so it could these part's we're just more suited to the 418.

For the strokers to make better peak and or power curve it's would have to come from efficiency, more power from the same amount of fuel and air and or more fuel and air. Since the top end is the same should be similar efficient, actually there should be some frictional hp loss and a 360 can spin higher rpm to make up the static displacement differences to have same dynamic displacement. So where does this bonus power come from?

And as for torque difference if both geared right should have similar torque to the ground.

I’m still waiting for an ET calculator that uses torque. I’ve never seen one. One has to wonder why that is.

-
Back