360 Stroker

-

70dart340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Enough of lurking for years in the background, it's time to come out. I have a bone stock, numbers matching, perfect build sheet 1970 Swinger 340. I rebuilt the original motor, with Crane retro roller cam, and ported heads. I put all the rare parts back on, like the Exhaust manifolds, original intake and carb, distributor, and A/C set up. This is a factory A/C car. Then I stared at it for months, and wrapped it up and put it in the corner. I had bad visions of throwing a rod and destroying my numbers matching block. What's a man to do? Build a stroker, of course! I talked to Brian Hafliger, and we're building a 408 based on my 1998 R/T 5.9. He has the patience of Job, and explained in detail all my options. He's working up my rotating assembly parts list. When I get it, I'll take the parts and my block to the machine shop. We're going to set it up for a set of his ported Edelbrock magnum heads, as time and money allows. I have my youngest son to put through the University of Washington's computer science program, so this build might take a while. I'll have lots of questions for all the talent here, but it's time to start. I've had the car blown apart for 8 years, and done easy things like the interior, but it's time to start the motor. YOLO! I've watched other people's long term builds, so I know I can do it. Look for 5.9 Magnum parts for sale soon. Paul.

I have a friend selling his 408 stroker. Made 400 wheel, he would like 5500 carb to pan!

Welcome Paul !!!
By any chance is your dart a b5 bench seat column shift auto ?
I think it use to be my car ?
If that's the case it is one sweet car !!
It was bought new in hermiston Oregon .
I got the car in tri cities on May 7 2002 .
I sure wish I would have kept it !!!
How about some pics !!!

If you're John's brother, and the one who put it in the ditch and dented the right rear, then yes it's the same car. If you know any history of the car, I sure would like to hear it. I searched for over 20 years to find this car, and I love it. Interior is all done except for the dash. Thanks for your part in getting her to me. I'll never sell it. ride along for the engine build, Brother. I'm not cutting any corners with this one.

Yes unfortunately I'm the one who put it in the ditch .
All the history I know I told you .
If I wasn't in need of money I would not have sold it to John .
That car was very original and untouched .
The only thing I would have changed was the rear end gears .
There is a picture in my profile of me doing a burnout in it .

It's all good, Brother. The car is a bit sun burned, but the most original 340 Dart I ever saw. John quoted me a price sight unseen, and I said yes. The interior is amazing. I've restored all but the dash. It's on the list. I also picked up a complete 8 3/4 rear a couple years ago. I'm going with 3.55's with a SG and SS springs. But first thing's first. Stroker time. Again, thanks for steering her my way.

-
Back