360 with ThermoQuad dies and won't restart when cold

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
My 360 has a TQ, which has been rebuilt by a pretty good mechanic, FWIW. It starts up OK when cold, but the first time you come to a stop it dies and doesn't want to restart. It is a fuel starvation issue because it starts up fine when you spray some starting fluid down its throat.

I noticed that when opening the throttle I get no discharge from one of the squirters.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

I think you answered your own question with a clear path to fixing it. Remove the squirters and clean them up. Find a small wire or drill bit to poke out what ever is clogging it up.

I think you answered your own question with a clear path to fixing it. Remove the squirters and clean them up. Find a small wire or drill bit to poke out what ever is clogging it up.

Does the TQ have a plunger style accelerator pump like an AFB??? Been so long since I've seen one I can't remember.

the transfer tube from the well to the squirters may have popped off. I've seen the acc pump rod installed upside down also. got any pics?

Float set to low?
There has got to be a reason it dies in the first place

If its cold it relies on the pumpshot alot. When you say "come to a stop" does that mean, when it stops in gear it dies, or when you try to accelerate from a stop it dies?

Float set to low?
There has got to be a reason it dies in the first place
That’s possible though weird.
Does the TQ have a plunger style accelerator pump like an AFB??? Been so long since I've seen one I can't remember.
Yes it does.
the transfer tube from the well to the squirters may have popped off. I've seen the acc pump rod installed upside down also. got any pics?
Then nether side of the squirted would get gas. He reported only one side gets gas.

I looked at a Holley that had the same issue, one squirter was stuffed. I also seen an AFB that had such a rotted leather pump cup that it would barely dribble gas out the shooters. More went up and out than in and down! TQ has same style plunger pump but may have a rubber cup now. TQ;s have some serious venturis (strong signal to pull fuel) so Im not sure why it would not restart. Id check float levels too.

got it, did'nt pick up on that sorry
No worries. I think it was still a good idea to throw out there. Hey! Your tryin to help! Better than most replies.

My 360 has a TQ, which has been rebuilt by a pretty good mechanic, FWIW. It starts up OK when cold, but the first time you come to a stop it dies and doesn't want to restart. It is a fuel starvation issue because it starts up fine when you spray some starting fluid down its throat.

I noticed that when opening the throttle I get no discharge from one of the squirters.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Might want to verify the fuel pump is working right also.

-
Back