361 Hop Up Options

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
I know that it isnt an A body, but its a Mopar and maybe you all can help me. I just purchased a complete 67 Charger for my dad with a 361 2 bbl motor. The car didnt run for 16 years, so the owner took car in starting it correctly. It fired right up and runs on all 8 cylinders. It does not knock or tick at all. The only thing is that it smokes a little, but we think that that is because it hasnt been run in such a long time and just needs to re break in for a while. I want to wqrk with the 361, just to do something different and to see if this little big block can make decent power.

With a B motor, what 4bbl intake can I use? What carb? If I step up the cam, wha would be a good option for a lumpy, but smooth idle and good torque and power production with the compression I have? Any other performance enhancements to this 2bbl motor? I will add electronic ignition too and maybe change the valve seals..Thanks for any help

Anything that fits the 383 or 400 will fit the 361 engine, mopar M-1 intakes or any of the like, camming should be treated like a 383 as the stroke is the same. Just the bore is smaller. 350-400 HP should be somewhat easy to do and have driveablity.

Like BJR said, any 383 hop up deal will work. I'd just cam it a bit smaller or more like a 340 if your used to small blocks. The "B" engine stroke is like a small block, short.

As for everything else, forget you have a big block and think like it is a 340 or 360 in terms of what part size you'll have the best use with. In example, no 2.25/1.94 valves in the head.

Something like a mild build would be a performer, 650 cfm, street headers @ 2-1/2 inchs and a cam from Lunati, Huges or comp on a 110 C line at about 220 intake duration @ .050. Sound OK? Or more power?!?!?!

Hell, you now the drill.

IMO your best bet would be to get a carb and intake from a 68-70 383 4bbl motor along with the cam. If you could find the exhaust manifolds too, that would help along with a nice dual exhaust.

rumblefish360 said:
Like BJR said, any 383 hop up deal will work. I'd just cam it a bit smaller or more like a 340 if your used to small blocks. The "B" engine stroke is like a small block, short.

As for everything else, forget you have a big block and think like it is a 340 or 360 in terms of what part size you'll have the best use with. In example, no 2.25/1.94 valves in the head.

Something like a mild build would be a performer, 650 cfm, street headers @ 2-1/2 inchs and a cam from Lunati, Huges or comp on a 110 C line at about 220 intake duration @ .050. Sound OK? Or more power?!?!?!

Hell, you now the drill.

Yeah, im used to the 318 and 340 drill, so I will apply the same principles to the 361. The valves are bigger ofcourse, but I will still apply the lower compression treatment. Good Advice so far....any more?

No, I think you know what to do. It's a 361 cube engine. Being a "B" block, it has a slightly increased stroke. I would ignore it and proceed like it was a 340. Duster Don has a good idea as well. Good on the cheap performance without a doubt.
Take a comparo look below.

340cid................360cid............361cid
3.31 X 4.04.........3.58 X 4.00.....3.38 X 4.12

stroke
...338,"B"..................358 "LA"
..-331,"LA"...............-338"B"
..,007 more stroke......020 less stroke.......

see what I mean closer to a 340 in stroke?

bore
340cid.............360cid

412................ 412

.008.................012......closer to a 340 again.

Just watch what our doing due to port size and valve size. Know what you have before you leap. It will act a little differently, but very similar.

Rumble,
You missed a extra digit on your specs. you need to add the extra 0, insted of .007 it should read .070 and .200 on stroke, and .080 and .120 on bore. Didnt want anyone to get confused.

Thank you. Glad you caught it. I was getting tired, but, no excuse, stupid mistake. The numbers were getting jumbled up when I was doing it the first time. Kept on confusing there placement. Like the close bore sizes. Then not putting in the decimal point where it belongs sealed the mistake.

-
Back