383 Correct Distributor Install?

-

684door

Reaction score
I have a question about correct Big Block Chrysler Distributor installation.
I read in a Chrysler book to bring the engine to TDC and install the distributor gear parallel to the engines centerline. Which I am guessing is the slot running from front of block to rear?
The main issue is which way should the rotor point on the distributor install. I know most engines have it point towards #1 cylinder on the block, however, with the distributor up front and on an angle I wasn't sure if that was still the case? Does the terminal on the cap where the rotor points #1 too then?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long drawn out question.

First engine must not just be at "TDC" it must be on the COMPRESSION STROKE. There are two ways to verify this.

1...Easiest (usually) and most common is to remove no1 plug, bump engine until you feel compression, and then continue to rotate a short distance to bring timing marks up

2...If either valve cover is removed, bring marks up to TDC and look ate either no1 or no6 valves. Whichever pair is closed is ready to fire.

I don't know about B/ RB but on SB engines, not all dist. drive tangs are located relative to the rotor in the same spot. The engine will run in time with the rotor pointing 'anywhere' so long as the no1 plug wire is plugged into whatever tower the rotor is coming to.

At one time caps were marked as to "proper" no1, see this thread

Where is the rotor on a 440 supposed to point when at TDC on no. 1?

Last edited:
Can be any terminal the number one plug wire is routed to'
factory is 8 o'clock position

Sorry should have mentioned that, I guess I just assumed everyone would know about compression. Lol

I forgot to mention, the cap clip should be in between number 1 and 8 with vacuum canister pointing towards drivers bank

-
Back