383 engine identification ?

-

1994rm250

Reaction score
the guy that i bought my 383 from says its a 68 383 how can i tell on the block ? and wat heads are on it ,i kno its not 906's thats for sure thanks guys

the guy that i bought my 383 from says its a 68 383 how can i tell on the block ? and wat heads are on it ,i kno its not 906's thats for sure thanks guys

most engines ive messed with are small blocks but i believe that the date should be cast on the side of the block like a small block and the heads should have the numbers cast into them

yeh it says 9-14-66 how do i kno its for sure a 383 it says LL on the block and in the numbers would it say 383 and how do i kno for sure there not 906 heads does it say ? thanks angelo

yeh it says 9-14-66 how do i kno its for sure a 383 it says LL on the block and in the numbers would it say 383 and how do i kno for sure there not 906 heads does it say ? thanks angelo

the engine size on a bigblock is (somebody will correct me if im wrong) on the base where the distributor goes into the block. Im pretty sure that the heads should have 906 cast right into the head, of cource if they are 906s

Left side of block tells what year and top right front will say what size motor as well. Heads have casting numbers also between rocker shafts, last three digits will say what type of heads they are.
Either 906 516 915 452.

Mark

If it has a 1966 casting date, chances are better than not it is NOT a 68 motor. It will (probably) be either a 66 or a 67. It will probably have 516 heads (if they are original to the motor) and will NOT have a freeze plug in the end of the head. Assuming they are 516's and they have not been modified, they will have 2.08 and 1.60 valves in them, and have small intake runners. Bad thing for a high twisting 383.

only once build date is cast no one can f that up. then on any as a mech can tell they on b and rb blocks r stamped on a ….. a …. pad at the dist u know were the dist is that is a place that has a cap and wires there is a flat spot on B AND RB BLOCKS. with engine size and a o a letter for year. don't insult mopar! sale it.

-
Back