383 installed

-

Walkstep

Reaction score
I finally installed for fitting, the original 383 (rebuilt and stroked to 489ci) after several years of laying off the project. My car is a 1968 Dart GTS that came to me with a 440 installed and the original 383 bare block in the trunk.

Here is a picture of the engine installed for fitting before I pull it for final engine compartment paint and reassembly. It looks like I will need to dimple the passenger side inner fender a little for header clearance.

Dart motor installed.jpg

The 440 ran strong but had a few issues so I built up the 383, replaced the engine compartment sheet metal and installed the motor on a strengthened and modified '74 K-member.

Dart motor 1.jpg

Here is the brake upgrade from 9” drums to 11 3/4” NOS Mopar rotors that I sourced from dealer inventory a few years ago. There are also several upgraded suspension and steering components, but I tried to stay close to my period racing theme.

Dart suspension.jpg

It’s nice to be reengaged on this project and see all the work and planning (and $ ) I put in earlier coming together. I appreciate this forum and it’s members for the detailed information and advice provided for this build.

The next steps are installing the rest of the fuel, ignition and brake parts for fitting and then having the exhaust built. After that, I’ll pull everything, paint the engine compartment to match the car and send the exhaust out for coating.

I’ll update this when I get to final assembly. Thanks, Tony.

Last edited:
Real nice. Looking forward to the progress on this one. Thanks for sharing.

Jake

Good job on resurrecting your effort. My Duster has been in my garage for 6 years just waiting for me to get it back on the road. Seeing what you have done gives me some motivation since it would only take me two days of effort to get my car on the road again.

-
Back