383 Victor Dominator Intake?

-

IQ52

Reaction score
What do you think? We made this several years ago and never got it on the dyno or in a car.
Modified 383 Victor Intake and a modified HVH SS4500/4150 2" Spacer. It was made for a dyno contest that we were going to run a 400 based stroker but switched to a 440 based engine so we never used it. Someday. Maybe.

Before and after..........I don't have a before of the spacer but the 4150 side looked like the top of the stock manifold.

383 Victor Dominator 008.jpg
383 Victor Dominator 002.jpg
383 Victor Dominator 009.jpg
383 Victor Dominator 003.jpg
383 Victor Dominator 004.jpg
383 Victor Dominator 006.jpg
383 Victor Dominator 007.jpg

I wish I had known that you had that intake. I would've borrowed it for a back to back dyno test against my Wilson prepped Mopar 4500 intake. I think that would be an interesting shoot out. The Wilson prepped M1 4500 intake works better than anything else I've tested so far but I haven't had anything like your intake to try.

DSC_9497 (Large).JPG

is that a modified turtle in the bottom of that intake? thanks

It's amazing how much meat they leave in that Victor casting. Did you happen to weigh it before and after to see how much material was removed?

I remember Edelbrock saying they left a lot of area to carve out for the TQ fans.
Helps a few racers and odd ball TQ fans an option.

I wish I had known that you had that intake. I would've borrowed it for a back to back dyno test against my Wilson prepped Mopar 4500 intake. I think that would be an interesting shoot out. The Wilson prepped M1 4500 intake works better than anything else I've tested so far but I haven't had anything like your intake to try.

View attachment 1714998268
I'd have sent it to you Andy in a New York minute. Might have cause a little problem though, as compared to a stock bathtub gasket, the ports are .130" taller than a standard port window, raised .080" over stock and lowered .050". It remains stock port width. We were going to use it on a 451 with 906 heads in a Mopar Muscle Magazine/Amsoil Engine Challenge. We switched to a 500"/440 with the 906 heads so the manifold wouldn't fit.

Last edited:
It's amazing how much meat they leave in that Victor casting. Did you happen to weigh it before and after to see how much material was removed?
No, never weighed it.

Wait, why did you build it and not use it?

I'd build something just for it.

Maybe Andy will send you a couple of his intakes to do some testing with?

Wait, why did you build it and not use it?

See post #7. Nothing has come up since to try it on.

I'd build something just for it.

Love to. Send money for build.

Maybe Andy will send you a couple of his intakes to do some testing with?

Well, seeing as how me and Andy are such tight Buds, he might. Hah! If we walked right by each other at some event, we wouldn't recognize the other.

By the way, those were all good questions and thoughts, even if I did make light of two of them, thanks.

Not at the moment. I dunno what I'm going to do with it right now. I always wanted to use it on one of my engines 'cause I figured it would work real good. Licking my wounds at this time because I tried to almost give it away on eBay, I should have known it was a dumb idea. I'll learn.

since the intake was not snagged up by anyone on ebay, your wounds are minor, and now maybe Andy or someone will dyno it, looks great to me

Hi, I keep looking at this post from time to time and I'm tempted to do the same to my intake. I have identical intake on my 470 with standard type open 2" adapter to Dominator.
What is the advantage of mods done here? Is it just to get more plenum volume? Should I remove the narrow part like here and allow air fuel mixture to go straight down?
Another question is about adapter used here. I was looking at these for some time now and am tempted to buy, but I would have to mod it as my intake opening is a bit larger than standard. What are the gains vs standard open adapter?
Winter is coming and I will have plenty of time to play with my intake...

Hi, I keep looking at this post from time to time and I'm tempted to do the same to my intake. I have identical intake on my 470 with standard type open 2" adapter to Dominator.
What is the advantage of mods done here? Is it just to get more plenum volume? Should I remove the narrow part like here and allow air fuel mixture to go straight down?
Another question is about adapter used here. I was looking at these for some time now and am tempted to buy, but I would have to mod it as my intake opening is a bit larger than standard. What are the gains vs standard open adapter?
Winter is coming and I will have plenty of time to play with my intake...
I cannot figure out why I never answered this post. Maybe I just never noticed it?

I modified the intake just to get the Dominator adapter to fit with the fewest air diversions.

We tested a stock Victor 440 on a 496 stroker. All tests were with the manifold port matched to a standard port window valley pan gasket. With no spacer on top of the intake the engine made the most horsepower buy just sanding smooth the the narrow part of the intake just below the carburetor flange and not changing the original shape. When we put a 2" 4-into-1 spacer on the manifold the most power was made buy removing restriction under the carburetor flange.

All in all there were 6 different tests in this order.............
1) Stock plenum no spacer
2) Stock plenum w/2" spacer
3) Sand blended plenum no spacer...........most power with no spacer
4) Sand blended plenum w/2" spacer
5) Plenum ground straight down no spacer
6) Plenum ground straight down w/2" spacer...............most power w/spacer

I never tested an open spacer vs a 4-into-1 spacer.

-
Back