3rd gen HEMI rocker shafts

-

rustycowll69

Reaction score
So I've been working on my 09 Charger because a few issues have cropped up, lately. Among other things, I was considering pulling the valve covers to have a look-see. I got to wondering about the rocker shaft(s) orientation, especially after what happened to my 340 6bbl, when I took it in for warranty service back in 1971. That faux pax destroyed the engine. Anyway, I looked at the online factory service manual, and I couldn't find anywhere it specifically said how it's to be done. In several places, it said to not disassemble the rocker assemblies, and replace them exactly how and where you found them. I looked on several other forum threads, and there were many different, conflicting answers. I posed the question on a Charger forum, which only elicited one stupid answer from some jackass, who repeated the FSM advice to just put it back the way I found it. I guess he figures you just repeat what was already done, whether it's right or WRONG. Anyway, I finally found the REAL answer.
For Lt head: intake shaft; "notch" up and forward, and for exhaust shaft: "notch" up and REARWARD.
For Rt head: intake shaft; "notch" up and rearward, and for exhaust shaft; "notch" up and FORWARD.
From the trouble I had trying to find the right answer, I GUARANTEE, there are a lot of 3rd gen Hemis which have been put back together wrong.

-
Back