4, 5 and 6 speed manual swaps

-

coalman

Reaction score
Are there any good complete kits for doing these swaps out there? Or is it better to go out hunting the required parts? Thanks a bunch....

I did the viper t56 about 5 years ago. Used trans, everything else new, I'm really happy with it. The 2 overdrives aren't necessary but it's not a bad thing to have another option. I think it was also the cheapest way to get overdrive behind a BB.

Are you looking for a kit that would convert an automatic to stick with pedals, linkage, bellhousing etc.? Or just a kit for transmission and related items once the car is set up for stick shift?

I put a 5 speed behind the BB in my '65 Coronet about 25 years ago. There weren't any kits back in those days!

I am looking at both ways to swap an automatic out, if I have to. I am also shopping for a car to do it with. Been looking in my area and the internet. Trying to find a 1965 or 66 Valiant Hardtop, one with a factory 3 speed and V-8, about impossible. Thanks a bunch for all the input!!

If I were doing it I would find the pedals, mechanism, etc. from another car. Then if going with a 4spd I would source from another car as well. If you want a five or six speed you have the various Tremec suppliers, Richmond, Mcloed or even Jerico or Nash. Passon Performance claims they will be providing a 5 spd that is a direct bolt in to replace an A833 but I don't think they have shipped one for several months. Both Passon Performance and Brewers performance can provide complete conversion kits and the Tremec suppliers can provide kits if you car is equipped with pedals for a stick.

Spend money on the nicest car you can afford, way easier on the wallet in the long run.
Changing them from auto to a factory 4-speed is not that hard.

-
Back