4.88 in a street/strip car?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
Anyone running 4.88s in a street strip car?

Pops gave me a third member that has a spool with 4.88 for my 9 inch and I'm gonna try it out.

904 trans, 29 inch tire.
02-03 Springs on sliders

360, 30 over, 11-1 comp ratio

I dont do much driving on the freeway but the car will see some.
With the new engine the car will already melt the tires using 2.76 rear but going to drag radials soon so maybe it will hook?

Mostly looking to destroy folks stoplight to stoplight.

I'd rather run 4.56 but the cost vs reward just may not be there....

Thoughts?

Can't remember the lift, converter is soft (2,500), home port job never bothered to flow em...

Not looking for ET numbers just wondering if anyone runs this much rear on the street and if they can get it to hook?

That's what I wanna hear!

I dont mind do 50 55 mph for longish drives...

I ran 4:88 with a close ratio 4 speed and it was a blast, still rough at 55 MPH, It would have been better with a O.D. 5 or 6 speed

Can't remember the lift, converter is soft (2,500), home port job never bothered to flow em...

Not looking for ET numbers just wondering if anyone runs this much rear on the street and if they can get it to hook?
Rear ,front suspension? This is the whole key ,Cope.....

I run a 4.86 gear in my 83/4 rear with a spool, and my m/t sportsman 31x18.5 don’t hook worth a dam. Spin right through 1st and 2nd. But it’s fun as hell!

I run a 4.86 gear in my 83/4 rear with a spool, and my m/t sportsman 31x18.5 don’t hook worth a dam. Spin right through 1st and 2nd. But it’s fun as hell!
Used to run Sportsman (28 -10.5 15 's ) with a loose 4800-5000 stall converter, 4.11 's out back . A handful, to say the least. And slow
El Camino, 3800 lbs.,396 .. once I installed square ports a decent intake ,and a 1050 Dominitor on it ,... Holy bananas ,it went 7000 plus ,all gears.,and slower...

Last edited:
70 Duster 340 4 speed,headers,cam etc. 5.13's on the street daily driver...That was 1974. Today I run 4.10's and have been thinking changing to 3.23.
I must be getting old...........

02-03 springs on sliders.
No shocks yet.

Stock front end.

The car is gutted, (if I dont absolutely need it it got cut off and went in the trash) aluminum interior and 10 point cage.

70 Duster 340 4 speed,headers,cam etc. 5.13's on the street daily driver...That was 1974. Today I run 4.10's and have been thinking changing to 3.23.
I must be getting old...........
I'm coming up ,on 51...

A body, whit that much gear and stall what made it slow?
Too much torque converter slippage, against too much horsepower and torque....
A good basic 396 can squeak out 500 horsepower, the crazy torque was a surprise.

My cam comes on right at 3K
Stall is 2,500.

My 2 step is 2,200.

When I let off the button, line lock and 2 step go away and the tire smoke starts...

I never leave off the 2 step button unless I'm just showing off. Car leaves better at 1,500 rpm

Lean off the line lock...
Lay some water down ,on tarmac ... (no cops ,Cope ) learn to drive into it ,softly...
Or "flash " ,the torque converter...
You wack the throttle pedal ,mid range... roll to the line ,and stage.

No water box at the stop light...

:)

General consensus, 4.88 and replace the copper cobras with some DOT radials for the win?

No water box at the stop light...

:)

General consensus, 4.88 and replace the copper cobras with some DOT radials for the win?
There you go.... Tire circumference is huge here ,with a loose converter. .... This might be ,a trial and error... unless you give us the tire height, of those Coopers
(Rear suspension setup?)
Worn out ,and stock? ,or you wanna go quick , cheap?

Not cheep.

Springs are 5 years old, ballbearing sliders are new.

I have some 29" tires but may go taller. The issue will be how low I can get the car before the tires hit the rear glass...

Cutting, welding and making parts not an issue.

I also have a set of 32x15.5x15 but dont wanna run big tire class.

Not cheep.

Springs are 5 years old, ballbearing sliders are new.

I have some 29" tires but may go taller. The issue will be how low I can get the car before the tires hit the rear glass...

Cutting, welding and making parts not an issue.
Go Get It ,Cope.... set suspension, and safety 1 and 2 ..man....

The cage should pass 8.50 tech.

20180408_153212_zpscjnu6h2x.jpg

You don't use 4.88 and freeway in the same sentence in my book. Unless you want a ticket for driving to SLOW! You'll be the laughing stock on the freeway for sure. Here in Nebraska most drive 80-85, you get run over if you drive any less than 70.

-
Back