4 barrel intake for 318?

-

belvedere67

Reaction score
I have a 318 out of a 71 dart i put in my 1950 dodge truck. I want to give it some pep so I want to bolt on a 4 barrel carb. I have a 4 barrel intake off a 340. Casting number 2531915. Would this work with no issues for a 318? Thanks for any help.

Yes sir. Bolt it on and about a 500 to 600 CFM carb you are good to go. You may have to change your kick down linkage if your running an automatic transmission.

Last edited:
I bought an 600 edelbrock from a guy that had it on a 460 ford. Im sure im going to have to change the springs, rods and jets. Any advice on where to start?

Yes sir. Bolt it on and about a 500 to 600 CFM carb you are good to go. You may have to change you kick down linkage if your running an automatic transmission.
And use the 340 throttle cable bracket. Yes it will bolt up and work better than the 2 barrel. You will need the right parts and brackets to make it work right.

I have the linkage if you need it. Just txt me and I'll send what I got.. Peter. No cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 340 intake has larger ports than the 318 heads and intake, but it will work just fine as the others have said. I have done this before myself, you will like it!

It will work, but IMO, on your engine, recurving the distributor will produce better results between the two. Of course doing both will help even further.

yeah you probably got 4.10s back there and a truck trans, which means you will be thru first gear before the secondaries ever get a chance to open,lol.
Maybe in second tho.........

Take the carbs jets and rods back to stock and work from there. You’ll probably have to lean it out.

Did anyone mention a square bore to spread bore adapter?

DAkota- so maybe 3:54 or did you snag a 3:91? whatever it'll work
is this the AFB or AVS edelbrock? whatever= either will work but a TQ is better
do not worry about the port mismtch Dodge 318 PCs came that way from the factory
Transgo reprogramming kit for the valve body tranny cooler if stop and go traffic or towing

Did anyone mention a square bore to spread bore adapter?
You just did! LOL Nice catch! This simple intake/carb swap is turning into a bit more isn't it. If you mis-match parts that's what can happen. You can make it work but it takes more pieces to the puzzle.

Last edited:
2531915 is an AVS intake
Per post #1 Op has a 71 318, and a 68 to 70 intake,lol

Oh wait, intruder alert!
Phil, what year or casting number 340 intake? 1971 was the first year for the Themoquad spreadbore , which continued to the end.

Last edited:
IIRC all the stock 318 4bbl intakes were 360 pieces. Port mispatch and all. Can anyone prove me wrong?

-
Back