Status
Not open for further replies.

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Contact seller
Ok so here's the deal. I'm pretty broke, but I have to do something to improve the fuel mileage on this truck. I've replaced almost everything possible on this 90 d250 seems like and it still runs like a pig. So, I'm going back to my roots and going for a 4 barrel. I picked up a carb and sent it to Rob (RustyRatRod) for building. Now I need an intake. As I said, I don't have a lot of money. So cheaper the better. Aluminum is preferred do to shipping weight. This is a shot in the dark, but I'm trying to spend less than $100 shipped.

As far as payment goes, PayPal or postal money order will be fund of choice. I'm in hopes of paying in a couple installments. Part would be paid in full before you send the part of course.

Pics would be great! I hope someone can help.

just a thought, I work on the TBI units and sell kits. is it possible that your fuel pressure has dropped to the point that its making it hard on fuel? you should be getting 20+ MPG

just a thought, I work on the TBI units and sell kits. is it possible that your fuel pressure has dropped to the point that its making it hard on fuel? you should be getting 20+ MPG

With a granny 4 speed and 360?! i wosh i got that milage! I don't honestly know. All I can spell is fuel in the exhaust. Octane fumes would kill me before canon monoxide would

I'm getting 10hwy mpg on a good day and 6.8mpg town...

Hate to be a bummer, but I added a 4barrel to a 1975 360 and helped nothing. It was still a dog and 10-12 miles per gallon back when gas was a better quality. To get that motor to be efficient needs a stoker kit or at least a higher compression and cam than stock. the LA intake is very good but cant work magic. Good luck

Hate to be a bummer, but I added a 4barrel to a 1975 360 and helped nothing. It was still a dog and 10-12 miles per gallon back when gas was a better quality. To get that motor to be efficient needs a stoker kit or at least a higher compression and cam than stock. the LA intake is very good but cant work magic. Good luck

How is stroking it going to improve mileage? I don't understand.

So, you've taken off the fuel management system, the TBI and replacing it with a carburetor to get better gas mileage? Tell me exactly how that is done and believe me I do understand what life is like, yet I would change out the granny 4 speed for a 5 spd NV3500 and before anyone says it's not strong enough, remember he's not gonna race and it came with many trucks like that..

May not be the carb choice.... what gears are in the rear? Being a 3/4 ton truck, i'd think 3.91 or 4.10..... Betcha thats where you fuel milage is suffering the most...........

So, you've taken off the fuel management system, the TBI and replacing it with a carburetor to get better gas mileage? Tell me exactly how that is done and believe me I do understand what life is like, yet I would change out the granny 4 speed for a 5 spd NV3500 and before anyone says it's not strong enough, remember he's not gonna race and it came with many trucks like that..

Not removed yet as this is my daily driver. Something is wrong though and I'm tired of sinking money in to this thing for nothing.

I would love to swap to a 5 speed! However, as stated I'm on a really tight budget

Go to the JY and get a 3.55 axle.

Probably $100 and will be an instant MPG improvement.

If you feel adventurous, tru to find one higher, like 2.7.

IDK what that truck weighs (5500+?), but my Sat is pushin' 4K with 2.73's and a 318-2. Keeps up with traffic just fine, passes when I want, and is 14.5 MPG, and could be better.

Have you changed the O2 sensor lately? I'm in Houston and think my mileage is a little better than that. My guess would be 12 city and 15/16 hwy at 75 mph. I just passed inspection with no problem. 91 360 518 auto with 4:10 gears.

What ignition/distributor system?Curveable?

I currently have the Hall effect. Would swap to 2 wire dizzy and HEI

Go to the JY and get a 3.55 axle.

Probably $100 and will be an instant MPG improvement.

If you feel adventurous, tru to find one higher, like 2.7.

IDK what that truck weighs (5500+?), but my Sat is pushin' 4K with 2.73's and a 318-2. Keeps up with traffic just fine, passes when I want, and is 14.5 MPG, and could be better.

what is a JY and an SAT? Currently weighs about 5900lbs with my tools and such

It's a 3/4 ton work truck with 4:10's and a 4 speed with a granny first gear. The distributor also has to be changed out as well.

You really are going in the wrong direction, oh well...

It's a 3/4 ton work truck with 4:10's and a 4 speed with a granny first gear. The distributor also has to be changed out as well.

You really are going in the wrong direction, oh well...

If your not going to help, then get bent. I'm open to advice and helpful hints. I'm not looking for smart *** attitude. I appreciate the trans suggestion, but if that's all your going to offer thanks and see ya later

Hot lines,don't get it. You need to pack the cylinders HARD, to make efficiency. A S.P.2.P manifold ,would absolutely rock here. Factory tuning,leaves so much on the table.

Real world.
My dad bought a 78 W-150 brand new, 360 -2bbl 4-speed club,cab 3.55 all stock, still is.
It got 14.4 new still gets 14.0 tank after tank, the motor has never been rebuilt except for a valve job and timing chain, 240,000K.

I have a 78 W-150 318, 4-speed, 3.55 no options, standard cab swb that only could pull 10 mpg with the stock bbd, the truck has 80K original miles.
I put a LD4B intake and a 750 holley vac sec, and the average milage is around 14 mpg.
My wife says the old truck runs alot smoother and is more responsive, this is comming from an non-car girl.

So the point I am making is the stock stuff will work as good as the aftermarket.

I have a 78

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back