4 sp. bellhousing help

-

Slim Flipmin

Reaction score
Im trying to convert my 64 Plymouth Valiant w/ column shift 3 speed(Slant) to a floor shift manual 4 speed. I found a true 4 speed from a 64 or 65 locally. What bellhousing do I need? Are there any identifying numbers to help me with potential options? Any input welcome. TIA

Im trying to convert my 64 Plymouth Valiant w/ column shift 3 speed(Slant) to a floor shift manual 4 speed. I found a true 4 speed from a 64 or 65 locally. What bellhousing do I need? Are there any identifying numbers to help me with potential options? Any input welcome. TIA
This topic is covered very well on the Slant 6 Forum; 1st article under Articles. I converted my '63 3/tree to an A-230 3 speed (floor shift) and used the original bell. For an A-833 4 speed you will need one of the following early cast iron bells: 2463025, 2463027 or 2468431. They show up on Ebay, this forum and the \6 forum. Good luck.

Member @Bigboy 68 found that there’s a difference in the ball stud location on the bellhousing between the 64 and 65 bellhousing and apparently causes the z bar to sick at a less than optimum angle. I believe he has a couple of 64 bellhousing that won’t work in his 65 Dart or Valiant

Lol I hear you. It’s all a little confusing. That’s exactly why I asked. I need to start throwing money at the right parts not the wrong ones
Check with Wayne at Brewers performance or is son, they will know, the bell you are thinking of is a cast, and the pivot on side of bell can differ whether for b or a body I bet. They have the various pivots ( z bar pivots).

Member @Bigboy 68 found that there’s a difference in the ball stud location on the bellhousing between the 64 and 65 bellhousing and apparently causes the z bar to sick at a less than optimum angle. I believe he has a couple of 64 bellhousing that won’t work in his 65 Dart or Valiant
You are wrong it saying they won't work in this application.To use the 2463027 you need to use the ball stud that goes with the 2463027 (1964) to use the 65 bell #2468431 you need to use the ball stud for it.Other than the stud mounting they are the same and the body location for the other side stud mount is the same for all 63-66 A body cars.So with the correct parts you can use any one of the three 4 speed bells as long as you use the right ball stud mount that that bell calls for or make your own that puts the z bar in correct alignment .I have both the 2463027 and the 2468431 type and have compared them .The 027 is in greater supply than the 431 and much easier to get.

another question. I understand these 63-6 slant bells take the 4 speed, but are there drilled to take the 3 speed also???

No the 3 speed uses it's own bell with a smaller bolt pattern and it is aluminum where the 4 speed bell is cast iron

-
Back