4 spd. Question

-

Rick Wellman

Reaction score
ive got an 833 4 spd.. My question is: are there different lengths of the front bearing retainer. I know there are different diameters, but is the lengths of the snout, that the throw out bearing rides on, different. I’m having problems with the throwout bearing on a 3 finger clutch. One of the fingers of the clutch slips off and goes behind the bearing when I shove it down with it running.

The bearing rides on the output shaft and the throw out bearing slips to the otherwise of 1 of the 3 pressure plate?

The clutch adjustment is over adjusted, back off the adjusting nut.

The input shafts lengths very a very small amount. It should not be an issue since it goes into the crank. If everything seated right, there should be no problem.

I have tried that. Backed it for till clutch takes hold about half way out. Still does it. This is the second brand new clutch and they both did the same thing. I keep saying theres no way it can happen but it does.

OK. I can only think of a damaged clutch fork then.

I cannot imagine what might cause this. Maybe it's possible you got a completely oddball snout, such as....

They made A833 setups in overdrive for chev in a chev bolt pattern (special) case to bolt directly to a chev pattern bell. Maybe those used a shorter snout and the bell face to clutch distance was shorter. Maybe someone adapted this one to something and machined the snout shorter

otherwise, you have something wrong in the clutch. Have you changed the disc? It would not be unheard of for the disc to be defective.......wrong lining, something wrong with the wavey spring, etc, or MAYBE the pilot bearing is binding preventing release, and you are simply moving the assy too far trying to release it.

Can you access the bottom of the clutch area? (Open inspection cover?) Have someone release the clutch and examine the movement, and measure the disc clearance with a feeler. My memory slips, but seems like .060 or so is all you need for release. Do a search, you should be able to find the release clearance.

Don't quote me here but I think the t/o bearing is smaller for a diaphragm clutch than for a Borg and Beck. Wrong t/o bearing? Did you buy a kit? If so it "should" have the correct one.

-
Back