4-Speed 904 For \6?

-

VIOLENT\6

12 second N/A Slant 6?
Reaction score
Since Mopar 6 cyl & 8 cyl bell housings are different, did they ever mate up a \6 W/the 4 speed 904?

It looks like I might be running 4.30 or 4.56 gears on 26" rubber so an overdrive would be handy for drivability.

I'm not positive on this, but I think they quit using the slant 6 before the overdrive (A500) was used.
But the overdrive unit could be put on the slant 6 transmission as far as I know.

I'm not positive on this, but I think they quit using the slant 6 before the overdrive (A500) was used.
But the overdrive unit could be put on the slant 6 transmission as far as I know.

Do you mean an overdrive from a late model 904 could be mated to the early \6 904?

I wonder how you would go about controling it?

There used to be a 904 with a lock-up converter back around 74-5ish if I remember right !

look up wilcap. i got them to do a group buy on slant six to chevy 200r4 trans conversion plates.

You can also use the slant to LA904 adapter to use the A500 - 904OD (if you can find one)

Attachments

• adapter 010.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 358
  • adapter 013.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 393
I think you'll find that adapts a V8 727 to a /6 engine.

But why in the world would there be a need for that? Chrysler already made 727s for the slant. Strange. To address the original question. No, to my knowledge, Chrysler never made a lockup transmission for the slant six. Certainly not an A500. Does it have to be an automatic? Plenty of A833 4 speed overdrive units were put behind slants. I think the only way without cutting the floor would be like Ed was talking about and use the GM overdrive with an adapter plate. The 200R4 is a fine transmission. The only other choice I know of is from gear vendor$.

Do you mean an overdrive from a late model 904 could be mated to the early \6 904?

I wonder how you would go about controling it?

Yes, an early 904 with an A500 overdrive unit.
Basically you would just be using the /6 case and the A500 insides.
You would have to use the output shaft and planetary set from the A500 as well as the valvebody with the OD control valve assy.
It's all fluid and valve controlled, so there would be no electrics involved.
There are obviously plenty og other options, but if you want to keep it all mopar then it could be done this way unless I am not remembering something important.

I also don't remember if your year of trans has the rear pump in it.
If it does, we can forget the whole idea.

You would have to use the output shaft and planetary set from the A500 as well as the valvebody with the OD control valve assy.
There are obviously plenty og other options, but if you want to keep it all mopar then it could be done this way unless I am not remembering something important.

Way I read this ...your saying the OD unit is going to bolt on to the /6 904?

Even if my trans has a rear pump, I could find a later model \6 904 as a doner for the case.

Suposedy they used a rear pump through '65 but I can look to see if it has a splned output shaft. If it does hve a splined output shaft, it does not have a rear pump.

Is the A500 as strong as the 904?

Does the OD unit make it weaker?

The GM 200R4 option is interesting too, but I would rather stay Mopar & not use adaptors.

Also, does the A500 have a lock-up convertor?

I dont think that's possible. I could be mistaken.

Have any of you ever worked on a 42RH which is a 904 with an OD? and seen the differences in the cases between a 904 and 42RH...and the internals?.....How the rear drum is snapped ringed in on a 42rh..where the 904 is not...and how the od piston mounts on the back of the case where as the 904 does not have one....GOOOD LUCK>>>>

buy a gear vendor overdrive for a 904........

But why in the world would there be a need for that? .

I've seen "that thing" kickin around the www. I believe that when it was made, no /6 727's were made yet.

Wonder what that mess weighs!

But why in the world would there be a need for that? Chrysler already made 727s for the slant. Strange. To address the original question. No, to my knowledge, Chrysler never made a lockup transmission for the slant six. Certainly not an A500. Does it have to be an automatic? Plenty of A833 4 speed overdrive units were put behind slants. I think the only way without cutting the floor would be like Ed was talking about and use the GM overdrive with an adapter plate. The 200R4 is a fine transmission. The only other choice I know of is from gear vendor$.

Lockup used in 1978-up 225 engine. Uses same converter as the 318.

Since Mopar 6 cyl & 8 cyl bell housings are different, did they ever mate up a \6 W/the 4 speed 904?

It looks like I might be running 4.30 or 4.56 gears on 26" rubber so an overdrive would be handy for drivability.

The A500 was used with the 3.9L engine from 1988-up.

The A500 used a 2 wire lockup solenoid from 1988-1993, along with a 3-4 shift solenoid.

Have any of you ever worked on a 42RH which is a 904 with an OD? and seen the differences in the cases between a 904 and 42RH...and the internals?.....How the rear drum is snapped ringed in on a 42rh..where the 904 is not...and how the od piston mounts on the back of the case where as the 904 does not have one....GOOOD LUCK>>>>

buy a gear vendor overdrive for a 904........

That's right. You cannot mix A500 parts with 904 parts because the back end of the main case is totally different.

The A500 was used with the 3.9L engine from 1988-up.

Yes they did but the 3.9l used the same bell housing pattern as the V8. Remember it's a V engine, unlike a slant which is a L engine. A slant 6 bellhousing pattern is totally different.

There's only 2 ways I can think of using a 4 spd. overdrive A500 on a slant 6 and that's to have the bellhousing cut off the A500 and a custom slant 6 bellhousing installed. Or make an adapter similar to the cast iron one showed in the picture above.

Attachments

• 20130308_155050.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 20130308_155103.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 20130308_155156.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 286
  • 20130308_155219.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 258
Lockup used in 1978-up 225 engine. Uses same converter as the 318.

Nice. I wasn't aware of those. I bet they are hard to come by. uhh......oh damn. I think I might have one. Came out of a 79 Dodge truck. Would that be one?

-
Back