4 Speed console brackets

-

Joey4speed

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I ordered the console brackets for my 69 GTS, since it originally had a 4 speed console with the N-85 Tach. I'm not exactly sure where the 3 brackets go (see pic from AMD). I did see the automatic trans schematic on FABO but the 4 speed looks different. American Metal Direct has NO idea either.
Can anybody shed some light on this?
Thanks
Console Brackets | AMD 490-1067-MS

The 4-speed console parts shown are the front bracket, the end bracket, and the seat stop. You can see the seat stop right next to the shifter. Here is a picture...

101_1414.JPG

Last edited:
I believe it keeps the bench seat from being moved too far forward and interfering with the shifter mechanism.

I did see the automatic trans schematic on FABO but the 4 speed looks different.

The front & rear console brackets are the same for 4-speed & auto. They're also located in the identical location...

Makes sense. Wonder if its needed for bucket seats.

It's only needed on a bench seat to keep it from moving too far forward & interfering with your shifting. You can leave that bracket off with bucket seats. You can see the seat stop bracket a bit better in this pic.

Duster 73 340 016.jpg

Thanks BigStrok and 6pk2go.
The overall collective knowledge on FABO is tremendous.

Either buckets and console or bench with no console. You can't put the console and a bench seat in the same floor. So the console brackets are just 2 pieces. No bench seat stop req'd.
That 3rd little piece that the aftermarket included... I'm almost certain its a tying brace for the added floor hump section. Sort of like the 4 added plates at bucket foot prints, Just a little something more to prevent sheet metal flexing. Someone with a OEM 4 speed floor could confirm.

Check the picture of my 69 GTS 383 4-speed console car above. It always had that "bench seat stop" welded on the floor. I also have a few bench seat 4-speed cars currently and they have the same bracket.

My bucket seat car had the bench bracket too. I think it was just added to all cars. There is a template somewhere on here that gives dimensions on where the brackets go.

Here you go.

Console Mounting Bracket Template

This video helped me a lot.

On the assembly line, the bench seat stop probably went in every 4 speed floor. Console brackets and bucket floor plates went in later.
I don't believe the flat piece of strap metal that aftermarket included with console brackets is meant to be the bench seat stop. It has a predrilled hole in it so maybe the carpeted side cover attached to it.

On the assembly line, the bench seat stop probably went in every 4 speed floor. Console brackets and bucket floor plates went in later.
I don't believe the flat piece of strap metal that aftermarket included with console brackets is meant to be the bench seat stop. It has a predrilled hole in it so maybe the carpeted side cover attached to it.

I don't know why that hole is in there, unless some of them had it...

101_1423.JPG

-
Back