4 speed fitment

-

Izzacck

Reaction score
Im currently looking at a dodge truck, it’s 1973 dodge custom 300 which has 4 speed transmission. My question is I want to put the transmission into my 1968 Plymouth valiant will this fit/work? Was hoping to see if anyone here has done this or has insight to my question thanks |izzacck|

Im currently looking at a dodge truck, it’s 1973 dodge custom 300 which has 4 speed transmission. My question is I want to put the transmission into my 1968 Plymouth valiant will this fit/work? Was hoping to see if anyone here has done this or has insight to my question thanks |izzacck|
Probably not. The truck transmission is probably a top loader type shifter and not a linkage type shifter like the NP 833's are.

@toolmanmike nailed it, most likely won’t work for you if it’s the original transmission.

Some trucks and vans came with the same A833 OD as A/F bodies if you don’t mind a non performance transmission. Look for late 70’s to 80’s light duty trucks and vans. You will need a different shifter/rods.

Since it's a 300, you're looking at either an NP435 (wide ratio) or NP445 (close ratio) truck trans.
1678390330659.jpeg

It ain't gonna fit. And the granny first gear is only good for pulling tree stumps.

Look under the truck and see if it looks like an 833

@toolmanmike nailed it, most likely won’t work for you if it’s the original transmission.

Some trucks and vans came with the same A833 OD as A/F bodies if you don’t mind a non performance transmission. Look for late 70’s to 80’s light duty trucks and vans. You will need a different shifter/rods.
They did? I thought they were long shaft.........(the trucks vans)

They did? I thought they were long shaft.........(the trucks vans)

The trucks were long tail shaft, same tail shaft as the E body 833’s and 71+ B body. The truck A833OD’s have two shift pads, most only had the front (B body) location drilled out with the other one just as cast.

But the A833OD's were '75-86, the OP is talking about a '73. And a D300 would be an NP 435 or better anyway, not an 833.

I stand corrected on the truck/van tail shaft length. I had a short shaft in a D100 and it had a bracket that bolted to the stock A body shift pad location and located the shifter forward. It must have been swapped in and whoever made the bracket did a good enough job to where it looked factory to me. I’ve also seen one in a B100/150 in a junk yard years ago, but it didn’t have a shifter/linkage just bolted to the motor.

Light duty only, I’ve seen them in B100’s and had one in an 86 D100 slant six.
Negatory. It was completely different than the A body transmission. It was the truck version 833OD, which has a different tail housing and different ratios.

Isn't the forward shifter mount position the same?

Here's a fairly easy to make shifter mount that uses the B/E shifter pad to put it in the A body location.

B/E body four-speed in an A-body

Then it's "just" a shorter drive shaft, right?

If you happen to have one.

That adapter looks like about 4 hours of work and maybe could be made more simply without the stand-offs.

The 71-74 B "no console" adapter is very close to the A body location as well.

Thanks for the tip will definitely keep my eye out, just looking for a decent priced 4 speed for a daily cruiser

-
Back