4 Speed Shifter Not Catching Reverse

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
I've got my A833 on the bench with shifter and rods attached. I can shift through 1-2-3-4 normally, but I can't seem to catch the reverse lever.

I had the shifter apart to clean it up and re-grease it. At the same time I removed the bayonet receiver and swapped in a bolt on. The reverse detent spring is in place and I put it back together just as it came out.

What am I missing?

Thanks

I've got my A833 on the bench with shifter and rods attached. I can shift through 1-2-3-4 normally, but I can't seem to catch the reverse lever.

I had the shifter apart to clean it up and re-grease it. At the same time I removed the bayonet receiver and swapped in a bolt on. The reverse detent spring is in place and I put it back together just as it came out.

What am I missing?

Thanks
So here's something to try.. I had the same exact problem when I rebuilt my 4-speed I had it in the car and for whatever reason it just would not shift into reverse. I think it was triple R or somebody you told me to loosen the side cover bolts just barely and push up on it and like really hard. I can almost remember maybe getting the Jack underneath the cover with a little wedge enforcing it up and then free tightening the bolts. Presto reverse worked fine... it was just that little bit of clearance that it needed for whatever reason inside...

So here's something to try.. I had the same exact problem when I rebuilt my 4-speed I had it in the car and for whatever reason it just would not shift into reverse. I think it was triple R or somebody you told me to loosen the side cover bolts just barely and push up on it and like really hard. I can almost remember maybe getting the Jack underneath the cover with a little wedge enforcing it up and then free tightening the bolts. Presto reverse worked fine... it was just that little bit of clearance that it needed for whatever reason inside...
I can certainly try that. But, when I push the shifter handle over it's not engaging the reverse rod at all. So, something is not connecting.

Does your shifter work without the tranny atteched? Spacer plate between shifter mechanism and tranny mounted, the right way? Reverse shifter lever upside down? Rod lenght adjusted with the drill?

possibly have the shims mixed up. Did you make sure both roll pins were installed
one on each side of the bayonet?

Last edited:
Pictures with shifter & linkage attached might help us diagnose the problem.

Spacer plate is installed.
I have tried it with the reverse lever in both the up and down position.
Rods were set to length with tranny levers and shifter levers in neutral using a drill bit through the little hole.

Last edited:
possibly have the shims mixed up. Did you make sure both roll pins were installed
one on each side of the bayonet?

I was careful to put the shims back in the same way they same out, but I'm assuming they were correct to start.
Both roll pins are installed.

Here are pics. Don't worry, I have a new set of pins and bushings for where the shift rods enter the levers at the shifter. I just haven't put them on yet. Using the old ones to test this shifter.
0525201409.jpg
0525201409a.jpg
0525201409c.jpg

The only way that the reverse arm wouldn’t move when trying reverse would be the selector pin not engaging the hole in the reverse lever. I don’t think there’s an alignment hole for a rod or bit in the reverse lever on a stock shifter so I would say if everything is right in the shifter the reverse lever on the shifter is out of position.
Do this unhook the reverse rod and move the shifter over toward reverse and move the reverse lever back and fourth until the selector pin engages. You will need to hold a bit of pressure toward the detent spring to feel it going in the lever hole. Next don’t move the reverse lever and adjust the reverse rod to the lever.

Last edited:
I suspect you either have the shims out of sequence, or the reverse loc-out is not releasing. Two of those shims look very similar..........
By the way;
IDK what you mean by "greased it", but that shifter is not sealed so it will fill up with gravel and dirt, and then you get to start over, but this time DO NOT Grease it,lol. They run just fine without grease.

upload_2020-5-25_16-10-43.jpeg

upload_2020-5-25_16-4-47.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a pic of a mopar hurst shifter notice there’s not an alignment hole in the reverse arm to the left.
97F759D5-1EF5-4421-A85A-0B8AB67A0EED.jpeg
AAE30E45-7243-4B6A-A8BF-BD93E216F4A8.jpeg

The only way that the reverse arm wouldn’t move when trying reverse would be the selector pin not engaging the hole in the reverse lever. I don’t think there’s an alignment hole for a rod or bit in the reverse lever on a stock shifter so I would say if everything is right in the shifter the reverse lever on the shifter is out of position.
Do this unhook the reverse rod and move the shifter over toward reverse and move the reverse lever back and fourth until the selector pin engages. You will need to hold a bit of pressure toward the detent spring to feel it going in the lever hole. Next do move the reverse lever and adjust the reverse rod to the lever.

Okay, that's a good tip. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks

I suspect you either have the shims out of sequence, or the reverse loc-out is not releasing. Two of those shims look very similar..........
By the way;
IDK what you mean by "greased it", but that shifter is not sealed so it will fill up with gravel and dirt, and then you get to start over, but this time DO NOT Grease it,lol. They run just fine without grease.

View attachment 1715534998

View attachment 1715534995
Yeah, just a little dab of grease on the shims to facilitate smooth movement. Nothing major.

I removed the reverse lock out rod/arm from this set up. Is there something inside the shifter that also needs to be adjusted?

Do the reverse detent springs ever get worn out and lose their stiffness? When I pull the shifter handle over for the reverse gear, it feels like maybe it's just not quite going far enough. I don't know...

Last edited:
I will say for whatever reason my Hurst shifter mechanism does not have the lineup hole for reverse.,

I will say for whatever reason my Hurst shifter mechanism does not have the lineup hole for reverse.,
I should also add that I actually do line up the reverse lever with the others and it works out nice for alignment..

Sure looks like the reverse rod end on the trans link
is threaded all the way up with no threads left. I think your
reverse lever is out of alignment

Sure looks like the reverse rod end on the trans link
is threaded all the way up with no threads left. I think your
reverse lever is out of alignment
Ok, I'll pull it and do it again. I guess I should clarify... forward is Neutral for the reverse lever (at the side cover)? I'm assuming there is not "middle" like there is for the 1-2 & 3-4.

That’s correct reverse is in or out no middle position
the more I look at your setup and what you have described I think your reverse lever is not lined up correctly. As jpar mentioned with the 1-2 and 3-4 levers in neutral the reverse lever should be lined up perfectly with them.

Do this unhook the reverse rod and move the shifter over toward reverse and move the reverse lever back and fourth until the selector pin engages. You will need to hold a bit of pressure toward the detent spring to feel it going in the lever hole. Next don’t move the reverse lever and adjust the reverse rod to the lever.

Alright, success! Good tip, thanks. I did remove the rod and wiggled the reverse lever arm until it engaged. Got the rod length set and ran through it about 10 times. Thanks man!

-
Back