400 BB with turbo

-

Hyper Henry

Reaction score
Was looking to add HP to a mild B-block 400 so going to try the turbo route. Just rounding up parts now and so far have a T6 turbo and Holley Super Sniper 650HP. Not looking to set the world on fire; just 600-650 hp. Anybody turbo'ed a 400 on here?? I am going to remote route because of engine bay room (37 Dodge truck) so going to mount under the front of box. Any recommendations for fuel system/in-line fuel pump?? How about getting oil to turbo; remote pump and tank or direct from engine??
Any help appreciated as this turbo stuff is all new to me.....:eek:)

I completely understand the lack of space in the engine compartment, I almost bought a 47 dodge truck with a 273 and there is not alot of room, bb engine it has to be tight.
I guess the main thing is the location of where the turbo is going to set.
The turbo must have adequate oil drain back or it will become saturated with oil.
I just built a twin turbo small block, and use a 4an line into the turbo with a 6an drain back to the timing cover, and my local gear head buddy says I should have used a 12 an on the drain, but there was not enough room for the 12an fitting on the timing cover.

I do not have the oil lines ran in this picture, was going to wait until I install the engine in the car, in case I had to move something. You can see the blue 6an fitting on the timing chain cover in this pic, there is one on a fuel block off plate on the other side of the engine.

WRMBh8.jpg

Nice setup really looks great!! Keep up posted on that beast!!!

I completely understand the lack of space in the engine compartment, I almost bought a 47 dodge truck with a 273 and there is not alot of room, bb engine it has to be tight.
I guess the main thing is the location of where the turbo is going to set.
The turbo must have adequate oil drain back or it will become saturated with oil.
I just built a twin turbo small block, and use a 4an line into the turbo with a 6an drain back to the timing cover, and my local gear head buddy says I should have used a 12 an on the drain, but there was not enough room for the 12an fitting on the timing cover.

I do not have the oil lines ran in this picture, was going to wait until I install the engine in the car, in case I had to move something. You can see the blue 6an fitting on the timing chain cover in this pic, there is one on a fuel block off plate on the other side of the engine.

View attachment 1715394632

Awesome!!

Also remember to keep the drain back tubes at a 45 degrees or more, the oil gets frothed up pretty good and needs an easy exit from the turbo. Its called out in a Holset rebuild manual

so as long as my turbo is higher than my drain back location and I use a bigger line I should be fine?? Where do you guys take the oil feed from?? Same place as oil pressure gauge location??

so as long as my turbo is higher than my drain back location and I use a bigger line I should be fine?? Where do you guys take the oil feed from?? Same place as oil pressure gauge location??
That is where I picked up the oil feed.

-
Back