400 low buck dont give a

-
The engine probably has steel shim head gaskets already. The 400 main issue was the pistons are so far down in the hole at TDC that they are ver low comp. motors about 8 to 1. A dual plane intake would be better han the TM6. But with the 4.56 gears it will pull good till you run out of motor.

ok guys i picked up a 75 400 (thanks forest) and i plan to put it in my 70 duster to drive or may just end up selling the damn thing..but anyway had a few ??? for you guys..the motor is stock and i dont plan to spend alot of money on it as its just to drive..i however did pick up a tm6 intake for it and i have a 750dlb pumper carb... i spotted a cam (cheap) hydro :D CRANE CAM .504 .528 232-242@.050 and was thinking of picking it up and sticking it in the 400..i plan to go in the as it has some trash in the top of the carb.. if anything i hope to just put new intake gasket,timing cover,oil pan as i am going to see what things look like inside..oh i forgot i will be putting a set of 906 heads on it that has some port work done to them..low buck ride to just drive around and spin a tire...so i am thinking thin head gasket to bump the comp. if i came.. how do you guys think this low buck dont give a f--k motor will run??????the car has 4.56 gears and i have 28/10.5 tires and 27.5/10.5 tires qtp...:D:D:D:Dso lets hear some input on how this thing will run or not run..what would you change??? no machine work unless it has to be done..but i dont see that being a problem..:joker::joker::joker::joker:[/quote]

Personally, I think it'll run just terrible, for several reasons.

1. 400's don't have any compression, stock.
2. That cam's gonna kill what little low-end torque you have now.
3. A 750 DP will drown the poor thing.
4. A TM-6 is for a well-built engine, not stock.

Spin a tire???...not likely (the 4.56's will help, but not enough).

There you go...you asked for opinions...maybe mine's worth what your paying for it.

Will sound nasty,for sure.Not much low and mid range torque,4.56's will help.A 3000 to 3800 converter ,as well.Going down a cam size,or some Rhoades lifters,would help wonders.

Personally, I think it'll run just terrible, for several reasons.

1. 400's don't have any compression, stock.
2. That cam's gonna kill what little low-end torque you have now.
3. A 750 DP will drown the poor thing.
4. A TM-6 is for a well-built engine, not stock.

Spin a tire???...not likely (the 4.56's will help, but not enough).

There you go...you asked for opinions...maybe mine's worth what your paying for it.

thanks.. i am not married to the cam.. the intake is for later when i do go through it, not going to buy twice like i have before..lolthe 750 same thing ..i may just replace the gaskets and chain stick a 509 purple shaft in it and call it a day..not really sure .. as i know i will be driven it..and that i ahve not done in about 3/4 yrs now i think..price less....:Di know bob has a plate my just clean it up and hit it with 100nos..:prayer::prayer::prayer:so lets hear some stuff that works guys..
75 400 motor stock piston,and crank..can work with the rest cam,and intake..headers for sure:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I agree with 65Val. It will be a slug.
Got a car in my shop right now that I could have saved a guy a lot of headache on had he come in before he did the same thing to his 400 in his 74 charger. A cam very similar to the one you want to use,Edlebrock heads and intake, 750 holley, MSD dist. and ignition... damn thing cant get out of its own way.

so happy i got rid my 400 for 68 383hp engine. 400 stock sux.u might as well just put a 318 or 360 in for how much hp and compression a 400 has stock.

Comp Cam Xtreme Energy .507/.510" For engines which are mostly used in high performance street applications and don't see the racetrack too much, we recommend this Comp Extreme Energy .507/.510. This is a great replacement for the old "Mopar purple shaft .509"

:D:D

The carb will not drown the engine. Size of carb has NOTHING to do with it. State of tune...... Or not tuned at all AKA running with jets ridiculously to large.

But otherwise, I agree with him. Look for a slight smaller cam with 10* more duration a d mill the heads for a ratio increase.

gave a stock 73 400 to a buddy of mine, pulled off the heads worked them over to about 250/200 cfm put in a Comp XE294H that came out of his blown up 383, OEM windage tray and a Performer RPM intake with headers runs 7.4-7.6 in the 1/8 mile in a 69 RoadRunner
I wouldn't recomend that cam if you are buying new, we used it cause we had it.

this sounds good right here..:D:D:D:D:D

Nnnnoooo...not a old "509"!!!....old school lazy ramps, too much overlap, and non-split duration. Still too much for a stock low compression engine. Until you bring the comp. to a real-world 9.5 or so, all these goodies aren't gonna do anything.

I like this thread, a cavalier attitude is what we're missing on this board for sure, everyone is always concerned about politically correct this, overthink that. :finga:

Go man go!

The carb will not drown the engine. Size of carb has NOTHING to do with it. QUOTE]

Well, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. An 1150 Dominator, no matter what "state of tune", will not function correctly on a slant 6. Likewise, I doubt a 390cfm Holley will work on a 600 in. blown Hemi.

They make different size carbs for different size engines and applications. Otherwise, Holley/Edelbrock etc would only have to make 1 carburetor size... 2000cfm...and it would fit all engines.

Something like this...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-21-222-4/..with a dual plane intake and maybe some 1.6 rockers would probably work as long as you brought the gear back in the 3.91 range. It's hard to come up with the right senario for a 8.0to1 at best engine, a short stroke and 4.56 gears for a street cruiser. imo.

Rick...you're on the right track with that cam, but he still needs to bring the comp. up for any of this stuff to work together. Now, if he found a set of early, closed chamber BB heads ('915's) ,that would help the CR.

The .507/510 Comp cam(284 xe,iirc),would be a tone more driveable than the .509.Best thing I saw it in was a 10:1 302 ford,with holley heads.Idled loud and nasty,was real drivable.3000 stall TCI, 3.42 8 inch ford out back.Ran low 11s with a 150 shot,2nd pass.Doesn't want to cage it.

The truth is that the horsepower AND torque will be much better than a stock 318 two barrel. Keep the cam mild and use a dual plane. Go for 3.55 gears until you build more power. That combination will be fun to drive, reasonably fast, and very streetable.

I have a 440 that very well may disappoint me, but the low comp motor and .484" cam are what I have. In my 67 Barracuda convertible with 3.55 gears it should be plenty for me, but we'll see.

Rick...you're on the right track with that cam, but he still needs to bring the comp. up for any of this stuff to work together. Now, if he found a set of early, closed chamber BB heads ('915's) ,that would help the CR.
I agree......Without doing some more mods this will be another low deck big block that, other then the big gear, will under achieve.......sorry earthmover, nothing personal, just what i think.

And by the way, i think the track build your doing is way cool:thumblef:.

The truth is that the horsepower AND torque will be much better than a stock 318 two barrel. Keep the cam mild and use a dual plane. Go for 3.55 gears until you build more power. That combination will be fun to drive, reasonably fast, and very streetable.

I have a 440 that very well may disappoint me, but the low comp motor and .484" cam are what I have. In my 67 Barracuda convertible with 3.55 gears it should be plenty for me, but we'll see.

I don't think you'll be disapointed Jim, the longer stroke should get you just what your looking for.

The carb will not drown the engine. Size of carb has NOTHING to do with it. QUOTE]

Well, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. An 1150 Dominator, no matter what "state of tune", will not function correctly on a slant 6. Likewise, I doubt a 390cfm Holley will work on a 600 in. blown Hemi.

They make different size carbs for different size engines and applications. Otherwise, Holley/Edelbrock etc would only have to make 1 carburetor size... 2000cfm...and it would fit all engines.

They tried that once didn't they? Predator Carb!

I don't think you'll be disapointed Jim, the longer stroke should get you just what your looking for.

Yes, but the comparison is my son's 67 Dart GT convertible with a factory original 1970 440 shortblock and fresh 906's (well, they were fresh a few years ago) backed by a hemi four speed and 3.23 gears. We will see, though.

We have had this Convo before and you made little sense then and even less. Ow since your repeating yourself with crazy over the top combo's.
You have little concept to how things work and even less ability to be flexae enough to understand the basic concept of balance with ridiculous exames only to be finished up by daring me to do and prove. Bring your parts over and be schooled.

To this end, since your convinced, there is no point in trying anything with intelligence with you. You argue like an idiot and I give up trying to explain the basic principal of engine/carb works to you.

Have fun twisting my words and meaning (yet again) to suite your. Arrow minded single track thinking I can no longer be bothered with a Convo with "stupid" since I'll put myself in Jepordey of being mistaken as such.

Apologies to the OP. I am also in the middle a similar build. A 400/727/3.55-8-3/4 in a 71 Duster.

Mill your heads and or seek closed chambered heads for more Compression. Once the new ratio is known, a cam choice cam be made along with the rest of the build.

If you can find out the flow rates of the heads in the condition that they will be
Installed and used, this info will help in a cam choice.

Due note dispite the carb size issue with the idiot above, a proper size carb should be sort for the intended purpose of the car. And IMO, that 750 is doable on a stock or well modified engine.

If you build anything with the "low buck don't give a ****." attitude then you'll get what you get. I don't think the combo you have will spin tires on a wet lawn! Lol!
But seriously, I'd lose the 750 double pumper for a 750 vacuum secondary & go with a milder dual pattern cam & dual plane intake. Unless you really don't give a **** & just want it to sound cool then throw together what you have & have fun with it.
Carb size does matter in a build as does the way the secondaries are operated. Too big a carb & you'll lose efficiency.

-
Back