400 stroker suggestions

-

slimjim

Reaction score
Hey gang, starting to spec out my next build and could use a little input. I’ve read through quite a few threads on here and other forums. I’ve built 3 small blocks but, never a big block. This will be my first.

GOAL: 500rwhp stroker that will go 50k miles minimum. (Building the family and don’t have the time to rebuild the engine every couple of years). 90%street/10%track.

Here’s what I’m thinking.

-‘72 400 mega block
-470 stroker kit (not sure which vendor) reason for wanting a 470 is to maintain piston skirt length
-10.5-1 c/r
-trickflow 240 heads
-comp cams 280/288 hydr roller
-1.6 HS Rockers
-Edelbrock RPM intake (Not a wide selection)
-Holley sniper EFI
-etc

Have any of you built something similar to this? Again, looking for a street friendly, track ready, 600 gross hp (500rwhp) build that’ll last 50k miles. Totally understand the cost of these mopars. Looking to spend the money and time to do this one right. Any thoughts?

Have the exact same motor in my demon I would like to do something very similar with the shumaker tri-y headers..but I was thinking more of ole faithful "451"....my first big block I'm clueless..has been sitting 5 years perfect candidate to stroke!! You already seem to know a good bit more so I'm anxious to see your responses because a "470" could very well be the monster I'm wanting to create also..good luck with info !!

15750618280861336149414623394614.jpg

I like what your thinking. The compression ratio can be higher without issue unless pump gas octane is.
The cam is always a center of debate and contention in what you should use. Everyone has there own ideas and of course, the par for course is your a fool for not following there suggestions.

My only suggestion for you on cams is get the most lift you can get to take advantage of the heads flow abilities in the duration you want that has the quickest rise on the lobes. I’d prefer to see the cam on a 108 rather than a 110 or worse yet, 112.

Yeah that would work. You should read my engine articles since I've built a lot of stuff that is similar. If you have the hood clearance I'd use the Trick Flow intake rather than the RPM Performer but otherwise I don't see any issues with what you've laid out. I'd also add the Hyperspark distributor so you can use the Sniper to control timing. The engine in my Coronet is basically the same thing, just a little bigger since I started with a 426W block.
DSC_3438 (Large).JPG

@rumblefish360 completely understand what you’re saying in regards to the cam selection. Seems to always be a “passionate” topic for each of these spec threads. I’ll look more into the 108 cams.

@AndyF I’ve read a few of your articles and I’m very impressed with some of your results. It would be nice to control the timing via the sniper kit. I’ll add the hyper spark dizzy to the list. I like the trickflow intake but, I need to see if I can stuff it under a stock 69 bcuda hood. Hood clearance concerns and intake selections were why I chose the 240 trickflow heads instead of the 270s.

You don't want a 108 lobe center for a street engine with EFI. That is more of a race setup. 110 or 112 is fine for a street engine with EFI. I use a 112 lobe center in most of my EFI engines.

@slimjim
Oh dang! I wrote what I did while ignoring the FI mention! So stupid of me. Thanks for that @AndyF !!!

You don't want a 108 lobe center for a street engine with EFI. That is more of a race setup. 110 or 112 is fine for a street engine with EFI. I use a 112 lobe center in most of my EFI engines.

Hey gang, starting to spec out my next build and could use a little input. I’ve read through quite a few threads on here and other forums. I’ve built 3 small blocks but, never a big block. This will be my first.

GOAL: 500rwhp stroker that will go 50k miles minimum. (Building the family and don’t have the time to rebuild the engine every couple of years). 90%street/10%track.

Here’s what I’m thinking.

-‘72 400 mega block
-470 stroker kit (not sure which vendor) reason for wanting a 470 is to maintain piston skirt length
-10.5-1 c/r
-trickflow 240 heads
-comp cams 280/288 hydr roller
-1.6 HS Rockers
-Edelbrock RPM intake (Not a wide selection)
-Holley sniper EFI
-etc

Have any of you built something similar to this? Again, looking for a street friendly, track ready, 600 gross hp (500rwhp) build that’ll last 50k miles. Totally understand the cost of these mopars. Looking to spend the money and time to do this one right. Any thoughts?
What vehicle? I would go with a 4.15 stroke personally. Built many of them, 600HP is very easy however reliability comes from quality machining, quality parts, and quality assembly along with proper break in and tuneup! Check us out: immengines.com

It’s going in a 69 barracuda. T56 or 60 and a strange 60 with 4.10s. S60 is already in the car. Going with Gerst suspension front and back

Most of the older TBI set ups work better on single plane intakes. I don't know if the newer sniper is different. Perhaps an old street dominator or torker will clear the hood. On dual planes I've had good results either milling down the divider or adding an open spacer.

What rods and pistons could you use with a 4.15 stroke / 400 Block combo to end up with around 9.0:1 compression ?
I have toyed with this idea for my 79 Dodge motorhome.

What vehicle? I would go with a 4.15 stroke personally. Built many of them, 600HP is very easy however reliability comes from quality machining, quality parts, and quality assembly along with proper break in and tuneup! Check us out: immengines.com

Andy’s big block book is a very good read even if you never build one or have someone else build it for you. Worth the $$.

You will love the 471/474" B. Those heads are superior to what I have run on a 471B, but with ported RPM heads, we put a FED rail into the low 8's/high 7's in the 1/4mi at 170mph. That's over 600hp with flat top pistons (we used 6.535" rods for a decent skirt length on the pistons) and a moderate solid roller (274*@.050", .688" lift) cam, with a tunnel ram and zoomie headers. Low maintenance and great durability.

-
Back