402 MP crate motor pistons?

-

mderoy340

Reaction score
Anyone know what pistons were used with the 402 Magnum crate motors?

402 Magnum

magnum402.jpg

Better make sure your taillights are working, because that's all your competition will see when you drop in a Mopar Performance 402 Magnum Crate Engine. This 4.00" stroker engine generates a whopping 435 horsepower and 457 ft.-Ibs. of torque at 4500 rpm, and will make believers out of everyone in a hurry. The 402 Magnum features big valve Magnum R/T cylinder heads and stainless steel valves. Drop one in and let 'er rip. For maximum performance, Mopar Performance recommends the use of a 750 cfm Holley Carburetor (P4349228 - available through Mopar) and 1 7/8" Exhaust Headers (not available through Mopar).

Crate engines that change the emissions performance of the vehicle may not be legal for use on vehicles regulated for highway use in California and other states. Horsepower and torque rating based on test engine. Ratings may vary on individual engines.

Specifications:
  • Built with all-new components
  • 4.00" bore/4.00" stroke
  • 9.0:1 compression ratio
  • Big valve Magnum R/T Cylinder Heads
  • Distinctive Mopar Performance Cast Aluminum Valve Covers
  • 2.02" intake and 1.625" Exhaust Valves
  • Heavy-duty Valve Springs
  • 288°/292° duration, 0.501"/0.513" lift Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
  • Single plane, M1® 4-bbl Aluminum Intake Manifold (includes bosses for MPI conversion) taller than stock - check hood clearance
  • Double Roller Timing Chain and Sprockets
  • 8-quart center sump street/strip Oil Pan
  • Mopar Performance Electronic Ignition Kit with distributor
  • Externally balanced as a Magnum engine, the following components required for proper balancing (not included): P5249843
  • Balance Weight and Positioning Template Package, P5249842 Cast Crank Flywheel
  • Heavy-duty Engine Stand and heavy-duty Engine Crate
  • Does not include accessory brackets
  • Not for use with air conditioning or for factory MPI installations

Last one I had apart at the shop came from mother Mopar with Keith Black pistons. They used to use TRW but that was awhile ago and I haven't seen them used by the factory sense Federal-Mogul / Sealed Power all combined.

Good question Mike.
All I know is, those heads are begging to be port as to release the power locked away behind the stiffling small ports of that head.

Last one I had apart at the shop came from mother Mopar with Keith Black pistons. They used to use TRW but that was awhile ago and I haven't seen them used by the factory sense Federal-Mogul / Sealed Power all combined.
Forged or cast pistons?? Anyone know?

Anyone know the lobe separation on the cam? Was considering trying a sniper but I think it’s closer to 108 And am also thinking the sniper won’t like that

-
Back