1. CCHHAARRGGER!

CCHHAARRGGER! Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:24 PM

dougs d450's

edelbrock dual plane air gap

4 speed

3:55

I am going to try a longer throttle cable and see if that works. I have it, just not installed yet.
    with the 750 dp, the pedal hits a wall before its all the way down. That is why i suspect the cable. If the cable does not work, then i must have a bad carb. I previously had a 650 dp ( on the previously mentioned 340) and I had no problems with the throttle cable.

2. Caco2120

Caco2120 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:24 PM
    Im seeing an admission of issues involving the carb, jets, settings, and a bunch of things that aren't related to the engine at all. Seems you may want to reach out to the companies manager that frequents here, as he is polietly offering. Despite the fact its not their carb, jets, or throttle cable giving you issues. Posting that you'd "never buy a blueprint again" in their forum no doubt...when fighting with a bunch of used carbs, doesnt seem the most productive

• Like Like x 8
    • RustyRatRod

RustyRatRod 30 Degrees Outta Whack FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      I am seeing a novice installer blaming the engine for everything bolted to it that it did not come with. Identifying why a carburetor will not open properly is hot rod 101 stuff. My wife could diagnose that in ten minutes. Although Blueprint had a rocky start, they now have a pretty solid reputation. I'd buy one in a minute if I didn't find joy in building all my own engines. You need to remember, buying a crate engine is only as good as the installer/mechanic. Any engine can be ruined if you don't know what you are doing.

• Agree Agree x 9
      • Like Like x 1
      • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac www.blueprintengines.com FABO Vendor

Local Time:
        Thanks for the kind words RRR. I'm happy to help anyone as a fellow hot rodder. Customer or non. I'm completely happy to share what carb, jets, ignition setup, etc that we would have ran. The engine appears well within warranty, so if there is truly something wrong with it, we will make it right. This is why we dyno them all, and do an oil filter analysis, so we know they run well before they go out. The worst thing that can happen is someone gets unhappy, and doesn't reach out to us for assistance.

• Like Like x 3
        • Caco2120

Local Time:
          ...but they can reach out to every facebook mechanic and forum on the internet to express their misplaced aggrevation.

• Agree Agree x 4
          • Like Like x 1
          • RustyRatRod

Local Time:
            Exactly. It's the same old adage. Have a good experience, tell five people. Have a bad experience, even if it's your own fault and tell a hundred.

• Agree Agree x 3
            • Like Like x 1
            • CCHHAARRGGER!

Local Time:
              Dang some vicious people here making some serious assumptions. I am only letting folks know the issues I am having. I am not a novice. I have been working on older Mopars for 30 plus years . Including desotos, imperials, etc..Some Willy's and Ford trucks too. Not my first engine install either, my back will assure you of that,.. Not my first "crate motor". You can thank the labor rate for mechanical work where I live to be the highest in the nation making a local rebuild non economical.The holley 750 is a NEW carb not old. When I was putting the first 500 miles thats when the massive oil leak started. My nice ceramic coated headers are all black with oil on the bottom. I removed the inspection plate to drain the oil that accumulated. Now maybe some of you have never used a blueprint engine. I have and i am only letting you know of the issues I have been having and what I have run across. I know some of the issues are not with the engine. But a massive oil leak out the back bottom of the engine, is the engine. I have only run into one person in my town that also did the swap in his 67 charger, he had a problem with the lifters not having holes for the oil. He had to tear the engine down to make sure nothing else was messed up.But blueprint did supply new lifters. I am not saying they are a bad company or they have bad service, i am just saying I am having problems that I did not expect. Like why was the oil drain plug washer plastic? I just put 80 bucks worth of synthetic oil that is now slowly leaking out the drain plug because the washer cracked , that really pisses me off . I have not given up on the motor yet, time is a problem right now. Thought everyone who is contemplating one of these motors would like to know how its been going since my first post. Everyone just take it easy

• Like Like x 1
              • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
              • Disagree Disagree x 1
              • Johnny Mac

Local Time:
                Have you started a warranty claim on the oil leak issue? is it a rear seal? valve covers perhaps? we have procedures in place to help diagnose these things. its within warranty, let us help. In the paperwork that ships with the engine, and tags that are attached to it, we advise heavily against synthetic oil until at least 6000 miles. Synthetic oil can polish the cross hatch right off the cylinder walls on a new engine, create excess crankcase pressures and oil consumption, and lead to leaks due to the above. It'd also need to be a zinc enriched oil, since thats still a flat tappet cam. We're still here to help regardless of any issues. not pointing fingers, just stating some facts in regards to the engine. Shoot me a Serial #, or warranty file # and i'm glad to look into it, and pass the info through the proper channels.

• Like Like x 2
                • meathead66

meathead66 Hang 10 FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
                  :rofl:
                  For some reason I knew this was coming. Surprised that RRR hadn’t chimed in earlier.:poke:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Johnny Mac

Local Time:
                    BE NICE!
                    Lets get him happy, and on the road with a smile on his face. I'm a bit concerned with the immediate use of synthetic oil, but regardless. I have customers running Low 11's with a property matched torque converters and MT ET Streets. I know he's a stick shift, and the butt dyno isn't always truthful, but replacing an older 340 that ran 14's with a 408 capable of 11's should yield a pretty big improvement. I'm sure he/we can work through the install issues, and if it truthfully is hurt, or has a large oil leak, Thats why we have a warranty, and why we take care of our customers. There's alot to check prior in the meantime... everything from the throttle linkage, to the fact the clutch may even be slipping with 500 ft lbs. We'll get it all figured out, thats what we're all here for.

• Like Like x 4
                    • fishmens67

fishmens67 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                      The nice thing about synthetic oil is it eventually finds it's way past the seals and gaskets

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • CCHHAARRGGER!

Local Time:

The Paperwork that came with the engine specifically listed 4 brands of oil I can use only or the warranty will be void. I did not use synthetic right away. I purchased blueprint ( yes your brand ) break in oil, and used that FIRST for 500 miles. The leak was occurring right away, not after I did the first oil change. I uses Royal Purple, as this was one of the REQUIRED oils so I did not void my warranty. Just saying none of the paperwork warned against using synthetic right off the bat. I never use synthetic but since the paperwork was very specific i used it. I will get the paperwork and upload for all to see. I am not full of S***

• RustyRatRod

Local Time:
                        Nobody's been vicious at all. How are we supposed to know what your level of mechanical ability is? You never said until now and it;s not listed in your signature. So just because we make some incorrect assumptions, we're vicious? Well, you're wrong. We're simply trying to help. When I see someone having trouble diagnosing why a carburetor doesn't open all the way, I make the automatic assumption they are a novice. Being a novice isn't a bad thing and it's not a vicious statement. We're all a novice about something. No one can know everything. Just like we didn't know a damned thing about your experience, until you said something. Vicious? No. A little presumptuous? Maybe, but given the lack of information we were given, that really wasn't all our fault.

The engine is clearly under warranty and you've got a great representative wiling to work with you. Good luck. I feel sure you're going to get it worked out.

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Johnny Mac

Local Time:
                          This is the 6000 mile notation I was referencing. No one is saying that's the lone cause of your leak. I will offer again, please PM me, call me, email me, if you would like assistance with diagnosing, and fixing this leak, as well as some tuning assistance. We dont attempt to wiggle out of claims or anything of the sorts. We are a great company, and we take care of our customers. Engines can, and will, have problems. Doesnt matter what make, brand, or type. That's why we have a warranty. If it hangs a rod out the side tomorrow we have your back. If a valve cover gasket is leaking, we have your back. No need for worrying over something we can gladly help with.

upload_2019-3-14_20-52-54.png

upload_2019-3-14_20-50-58.png

upload_2019-3-14_20-51-18.png

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
                          • Like Like x 3
                          • Caco2120

Local Time:
                            Perhaps if post #1 was; "hey all, having some issues tuning one of these, anyone have suggestions?"
                            Vs
                            "does anyone else think these guys lie about their dyno numbers??"

It would have been recieved as less "vicious"

• Agree Agree x 3
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • 12many

12many Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                              A leak from the rear seal can happen to any new engine, whether the best engine builder in the world installed or not. Anyone would be rightfully pissed. That is a warranty item. But a cracked plastic/nylon drain plug washer? Really? Was it cracked when you got the engine? Or did you do an oil change, it cracked when you tightened the bolt but you didnt notice it until you refilled....and what did you torque the bolt to? So you couldn't drain the expensive oil into a clean pan, stick a 10 cent copper washer on it, and pour that oil back in? Come on! That one is on you (or anyone else) everytime .

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
                              • Agree Agree x 1
                              • j par

j par Well-hung Member

Local Time:
                                11:24 AM
                                Personally I would highly recommend a blueprint 408 with this kind of service available... I would have been calling Johnny first and this thread would have been how we got the issues fixed.. my-2.

• Agree Agree x 7
                                • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
                                • mopowers

mopowers Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                                  How does a warranty on a leaky rear main work anyway? It won't cost much to replace- it's mostly just labor; just more of a pain in the ass than anything else.

• Like Like x 1
                                  • Agree Agree x 1
                                  • j par

j par Well-hung Member

Local Time:
                                    Has it been clearly diagnosed as a rear main leak would be my first question. Lots of people like to throw Parts at stuff. and before the Op gets all offended I'm not saying that this is the case.. we can look at the one spot it could be the manufacturer or we could look at the four spots it could be the o p? One of the two rear corners of the intake manifold which a lot of people forget to put the little extra dab there which again the Op doesn't seem like he might miss but possible. The oil sending unit not tightened down or or something and that area? And also the seal on a distributor itself.. Beyond what Johnny mention the valve cover gaskets. Just food for the conversation that's all not pointing any fingers just pointing out possibilities...

• Like Like x 1
                                    • Agree Agree x 1
                                    • SLOPAR72

SLOPAR72 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                                      Maybe there are some validated concerns OP however a few things stand out in my mind... First and foremost you say there are 30 years of working on cars under your belt. If that is so, make use of them....

Compression test- eazy peazy
                                      Vacuum test- even easier
                                      Leakdown- worth the effort if you suspect there is a long block problem. And check the cam timing. You can do that when releasing the rockers for the leakdown. You will be under the valvecover anyway. Once again, for 30 years of experience these are very simple task.

As for the oil leak, that just sux. Even on the best days of manufacturing (and basically that is what we are talking about here), things happen. My big boss always says if we did it wrong give us a chance to make it right. A dabble of UV test fluid and a UV light can pretty much nail it down in a jiffy.

I don't think anyone is attacking you. And Johnny Mac is clearing offering you his full support so take advantage of it and get it all worked out. But with what you are doing with that combo there is no denying it should send it sideways when you flatfoot it...

If I ever did another project, BP would get my business. I'm over putting motors together and they seem to have a good product.....

You will catch more flies with honey....

JW

• Like Like x 3
                                      • Agree Agree x 2
                                      • Fred Scigliano

Fred Scigliano Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                                        I haven't bought an engine from Blue Print yet but plan on it when I can afford it. after reading all you posted here I am impressed with your wanting to help after that long of time.

• Like Like x 2
                                        • Agree Agree x 2
                                        • 4spdragtop

4spdragtop FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
                                          If nothing else, like Fred said before me, if /when the time comes Johnny has sure as heck shown me he is willing to work with customers and try to alleviate problems.
                                          I'm pi$$ed I didnt buy when they had their 30% off sale. Maybe this year!

• Like Like x 2
                                          • RPMagoo

RPMagoo Just An Old Motorhead

Local Time:
                                            Has johnnymac been contacted directly ?? --- Vs debating this, here, on The Forum. --- He is a sincere, helpful Guy.

• Like Like x 1
                                            • Agree Agree x 1
                                            • 67cudafb

67cudafb Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                                              Just curious about oil leak. You say may be rear main leak. When you installed bell housing. Did you check runout with dial indicator. If runout is out of spec input shaft would stress on rear main. What flywheel are you running. If it’s the one off the 340 forged and cast cranks use different flywheel. Balance issues would definitely cause rear main leak. Just my thoughts on oil leak.

• Like Like x 2
                                              • mopowers

mopowers Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                                                When did they have a 30% off deal? Damn, that'd be killer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                                                By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.