408 roller cam?

-

67/6barracuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Guys looking around for a solid or hydraulic roller cam for a stroker. For a 91’ roller block, 4” scat crank, .020 over pistons, speed master heads 190cc. I want it to be somewhat streetable. Cams have absolutely shot through the roof in price. Came across this used roller cam. But it looks to be to rowdy what do you think? I’m no engine master.

IMG_2257.jpeg

I have a 251/255@050 SFT cam in my 408 (10.5 CR). It's used on the street and track. If I had to do it again, it'd be a little bigger in the 255-260 range. But that one you pointed out is way big for the street!!

I agree, to big for the street! Look at the spring pressures required, 245 closed. That is for a race car probably to rev to eight grand or more.

That's a dang bigun. Before you condemn it, find out WHAT type lobes are on it. If they are street lobes, it might not be so bad. It's all dependent on what style RAMPS it has, not the overall lift and duration.

Plus, remember too, if you can get it at a good enough deal, you can always send it in and get it reground to something more streetable.

If you’ve got 10:1 or better, I’d run this cam. It’s supposed to be installed on a 104 ICL, but I would run it 4 degrees advanced.
Howards Cams 712322-08 Howards Cams Mechanical Flat Tappet Camshafts | Summit Racing
I would honestly run the one like I got from them
its 260/264 @50 on a 106, should be in at 102. It’s 565/565 lift.
I ran it in my 10 to 1 360 and it went 11.26 best at 3350.
several local guys I know went out and bought that same cam after I had run it, and like it too.
it’s now in my 418, could use more lift with the heads I have, but it still makes very good power..10.58 at 3350.
sounds cool too!
would love to put a 1.6 or. 1.65 rocker on it and see what happens( and I might)

If it were me...

I'd just pony up the money for the right cam for the application. That's a big *** cam.

I would not use that cam [ too big ] & I would not regrind it either.
To get the high lobe lift has meant a very small base circle; together with the very strong springs that would be needed, the cam is going to flex. Not good for longevity/reliability as a street cam.
Regrinding will reduce an already small base circle even further....

i can offer a hydraulic roller cam, comp custom grind on a cast core to use with stock hydraulic roller lifters and oil pump drive. It´s 248/248°@.050", 113° LSA, .580"Lift with 1.5 Rockers. If interested just let me know.

Michael

There's also valvetrain longevity to consider. Depends on how aggressive the lobes are. Might not last long anyway

Sticking with solid roller cams (regardless of reasons to run one, not to run one) and using Howard’s as a supplier example, they have a set of their Max Effort (98541) springs for solid rollers that will work with up to about .600” lift and about 253°@.050 (285°adv) perhaps even a smidge more duration. Plenty big enough lobes to be able to run lower 11’s if not into the 10’s and run around on the street more than comfortably with longevity. Max power/rpm’s in the 6500+/- range.
Springs showing 180# seat and 465# open. Use axle oiling rollers and rest easier on the street. It can be and is being done.

Guys looking around for a solid or hydraulic roller cam for a stroker. For a 91’ roller block, 4” scat crank, .020 over pistons, speed master heads 190cc. I want it to be somewhat streetable. Cams have absolutely shot through the roof in price. Came across this used roller cam. But it looks to be to rowdy what do you think? I’m no engine master.

View attachment 1716094767
That’s a bit on the huge side, ever mind big. Dang!
I thought I was setting up to use a big cam in a W2 application for an all out assault. I have a solid cam @ 271 on the intake @.050. My target is well into the 9’s with a bunch of rpm.

With .717 lift on that solid roller, I don’t think that has street lobes.

What’s the rear gear and tire size?
What are your goals?

Do you have the factory hydraulic roller cam out of your roller block? Ken at Oregon can put a pretty decent grind on those, sometimes up to .340 lobe lift.

Thanks everyone I thought it’s a bit to large. Rear gears in the Dana 60 are 4:56/spooled.

Pretty big cam indeed. Depending on your heads you wouldn’t be able to use it without substantial work to those also.

That's really good! The LSA is going to be adjustable about two degrees from stock, but the 360 cam, IIRC, is the cam that will usually get you to from .330 to .340 lobe lift. Don't know about what tire size, but going by 4.56 gears and 3,000 rpm stall converter and 727 in your tag line, I like grind 2058, listed as XR276HR.
224/234@.050, 110LSA (IIRC, 360 stock hydraulic roller cams LSA from 114 to 118, so 2 degrees narrower than whatever you have), 106 ICL, 114 ECL (This will also be affected by actual LSA) , 335/340 lobe lift (It will really be what the core can go to). I would run 1.6:1 rockers with it for .536/.544 lift. This would be a fairly rowdy sounding cam in a 408 but would have good street manners with everything else listed.

Last edited:
In perspective, it’s about like a comp XE 274 hydraulic flat tappet. The car could indeed stand more cam, but the higher duration regrind profiles have quite a bit more lobe lift than .340. Even more important than that, though, is how much static compression and what type/brand of converter? Ken’s larger cams usually will have a later intake closing event.

-
Back