408 stroker cam recommendations

-
That cam is so close to what he already has with the xe268h, why have the kid spend extra cash on a whole new camshaft? For an 18 yr old kid, I'd just use what he's got- stock heads, 650 dp, xe268h cam. Keep compression in the low-mid 9's and that thing will roast the tires at will.

This reminds me of when I was a sr. in high school 18 yrs ago. My dad and I built a similar 408 with stock 360 heads that I had gasket matched by hand with a rat tail file, a 1850 holley, stock converter, etc. The thing was completely mismatched with random parts I already had, could get for free, or close to it. Still ran 12.70's with that *****. And for an 18 yr old kid, you couldn't knock the smile off my face if you tried.

He asked what we suggested and thats what i did. The two machine shops I deal with now avoid Comp stuff like the plague. They've had way to many get flattened out even after using the proper break in oil, additive and cam lube all while breaking in the cams without the inner springs. BUT, if his cam is a used cam that has been broken in and the tappets have a good wear pattern then by all means he should have at it.

That cam is so close to what he already has with the xe268h, why have the kid spend extra cash on a whole new camshaft? For an 18 yr old kid, I'd just use what he's got- stock heads, 650 dp, xe268h cam. Keep compression in the low-mid 9's and that thing will roast the tires at will.

This reminds me of when I was a sr. in high school 18 yrs ago. My dad and I built a similar 408 with stock 360 heads that I had gasket matched by hand with a rat tail file, a 1850 holley, stock converter, etc. The thing was completely mismatched with random parts I already had, could get for free, or close to it. Still ran 12.70's with that *****. And for an 18 yr old kid, you couldn't knock the smile off my face if you tried.

And im with you on the 360's. First engine i ever did was a 360 with heavy trw 8.8 slugs, a .474 mopar cam, stock converter, edelbrock intake and bone stock heads that went low 13's in a 3800 '73 challenger. But he never said he was on that strict of a budget, and he mentioned building a 408 so its assumed he eventually be able to afford it.

With my 410 Stroker (40 over instead of 30 over)
I think we calculated an estimated 11. 3 to 1? And I run 92 non ethanol pump gas and it seems to be running pretty damn good. I've been throwing in some hundred LL or some race gas once in awhile just cuz I have it but I did a test run and it worked fine. That's with the new grind. I think the one time I did a compression check a couple years ago I was getting like 189 to 195. Of course that was with the Old cam. And I always ran 100ll with that old cam. 596 heads mildly ported with 202 intake valves. I guess I'm trying to say you can build it with some compression but your cam Grindr can help you to bleed some compression off if you need it to act a little bit more nicer with pump gas.

-
Back