408 Stroker Short Block Details: Blueprint Engines

-

12many

Reaction score
Just some pics of a few details for anybody contemplating a 408 (this one is actually a 410 as it's .040" over) short block from Blueprint Engines. Finally got the short block on the engine stand ready to be assembled, checking it over closely. Looks really good, was sealed in a bag strapped to an enclosed crate that arrived intact. I'm seeing the bores at the deck and head bolt holes chamfered, underside the bores are notched for the rods, (which appear to have Chrysler part numbers), the edges of the piston skirts are chamfered, brass freeze plugs and threaded plugs installed with sealer, inside of block is very CLEAN, aside from the black paint which I'll be covering in race Hemi orange, it all looks great.

IMG_20170519_084018.jpg

IMG_20170611_175101.jpg

IMG_20170611_175118.jpg

IMG_20170611_175152.jpg

IMG_20170611_175303.jpg

IMG_20170611_175435.jpg

IMG_20170611_175134.jpg

Last edited:
The block is an 89-90 roller block #53006921, essentially a magnum block. Scat cast 4" crank, KB 416 pistons @ 9.8:1 as used with my Enginequest 62cc closed chamber Magnum style heads. Haven't gotten around to checking specifics yet​

What's the going price, for the short block? The basic machine work, looks nice...

Was $2429 shipped (picked it up at UPS terminal) I was gonna do a 360 short block, but had difficulty locating what I needed, did the math and figured with the time and hassle traipsing around chasing parts, machine work the way I wanted it, for a few more bucks the stroker won. Ordered on a Saturday morning in my pajamas with a cup of coffee in the recliner, drove to get it and in my garage the following Friday. Frigging easy peasy!

Best of luck..heard enough NEGATIVES about them to avoid Blue print engines..
yeah, everyone always hears ****. That nonsense don't register with me. reviews from those that use **** is where it's at..

yeah, everyone always hears ****. That nonsense don't register with me. reviews from those that use **** is where it's at..
the negatives i've seen posted were from people that used them.. others were happy.. hopefully you'll be a happy one.. keep us posted..

isn't that an LA block?
From what I come up with it's sort of a cross over, after LA before actual Magnum. Pretty much a magnum though. I've read more **** about everything I've decided on using with what I'm doing. The Good, the bad, and the bullshit. No worries on my end at all.

the negatives i've seen posted were from people that used them.. others were happy.. hopefully you'll be a happy one.. keep us posted..
Read alot of pros/cons here and elsewhere, definitely hope all will be good. I do know guys who are actual engine builders trash these guys at the mention of the name, thats typical. My success or failure with it would be no different than if I had a shop do the machine work and I assembled the rotating assembly, which was initially the plan, aside from now having a warranty that may or may not be worth squat, or the hassle to fix. The thread is just to show a few aspects via pics of their short block to give others an idea.​

Last edited:
the price is right, and a stroker at that. I don't have to tell you, I know you will check the torque specs on the spinning assembly or maybe even pop off a few caps.
a clean short block is a good start. make sure it's clean.

the price is right, and a stroker at that. I don't have to tell you, I know you will check the torque specs on the spinning assembly or maybe even pop off a few caps.
a clean short block is a good start. make sure it's clean.
M
Yep, will be poking around in there while I wait for more parts to arrive. We just removed a Ford 4.0 shortblock from the engine stand my son and I just assembled, so the wrenches are still warm!

So you have a block that is +.040 that should be .030 at most (later blocks are less core shifted, but cast thinner overall), hypereutectic pistons, and factory rods. How is it balanced? I'd be interested in the sonic test results of that block having tested more than a few.

At .030" over max and sonic tested by who and where.... for what application and who's budget and time to do it all for said power level? For what I'm doing, my budget, time spent trying to source what I originally planned, this is a better setup than what i could or would have pieced together and was willing to have done. Their block prep and parts used fits my needs. If it grenades y'all will be the first to know!

Everyone builds a better engine, just ask them. lol your engine will be fine. and guess what, the short block didn't cost you 6 grand.

Everyone builds a better engine, just ask them. lol your engine will be fine. and guess what, the short block didn't cost you 6 grand.
Yeah, I know how it can get, but all of it is informative regardless. There's lots of experience and novice here....and a ton in between. I have never seen any posts here with pics of some of the details of these shortblocks. That's all I'm doing with this thread. To some it may be a viable option, to others just something to push out the back of a pickup truck at the nearest ravine!

I and roughly 480 other members of Nebraska Rod and Custom Association were able to tour the Blueprint Engine facility in Kearney NE. this last Sunday afternoon, as our last stop on our Tour Nebraska event.
They have a huge new building with state of the art machinery. Parts of it were not finished yet. They had one dyno room in operation while we were there and I believe they had two more.
They had many pallets of mostly Chevy stuff, small amount of Ford stuff and I only saw a very few Mopar items. I didn't get any pictures, darn. They have been building engines for many years under different names, one I remember being Marshall Engines back in the 60's and 70's I think.
Most all of the employees seemed knowledgeable. I'm sure they turn out a good product, at least if you have a Chevy.
Let us know how your engine turns out. Good Luck!

Hey looks familiar.. I've heard of some "bad" stories. But when I actually researched and checked the BBB complaints, It looks like their customer service went above and beyond to take care of the issues and there weren't nearly as many as people made it out to be. I also noticed that the majority of people saying they're bad are the people that don't have one, or the people that you could never make happy.
Here's my shortblock
100_0052_zpstsq6hwyl.jpg

100_0054_zps2h51kt9n.jpg

100_0056_zpsv2fsxign.jpg

100_0058_zpsbrsf7rns.jpg

18768191_10207220118980144_6795035438552794025_o_zpsfznmy3lu.jpg

Hey looks familiar.. I've heard of some "bad" stories. But when I actually researched and checked the BBB complaints, It looks like their customer service went above and beyond to take care of the issues and there weren't nearly as many as people made it out to be. I also noticed that the majority of people saying they're bad are the people that don't have one, or the people that you could never make happy.
Here's my shortblock
View attachment 1715056314
View attachment 1715056315
View attachment 1715056316
View attachment 1715056317
View attachment 1715056318

Agreed, and from what I've seen the ones who really bad mouth them just so happen to also build engines, always gotta pipe in with comments that either question the builders assembly skills, as if built by a bunch of hacks, and/or the parts they use are beyond service worn out garbage. Pffft!

I had a Blueprint Engine in my Stingray....a 383 stroker...
Ran like a raped ape with 450HP & 460TQ
Many many trouble free miles until I sold it for my 'Cuda....
I'd buy from them again for sure.....

Jeff

-
Back