408 Valve train noise??

-
Thank you all again for your knowledge and help. I genuinely appreciate it. Not to sound like a dick. But the reason I bought a $7k + crate engine was because I didn’t have the time and lack of a decent local machine shop to rebuild the 360 that came out of the car which could have been done cheaper than a replacement engine.

Tearing this one down is not an option I’m willing to do

It’s probably nothing serious and perhaps it’s something else other than the engine itself ? Could very well be since I can’t pin point it

Just going by what I know which isn’t much.

Not placing blame on anyone.I guess we’ll just run it as is. IF something does happen we’ll deal with it then Thanks again

Last edited:
This is a hardcore answer, but I think people get spoiled by how quiet our new cars are. So, you pull a valve cover and check to see if its hurt. If you find something, report back. If not, run it. If it eats itself, it’s under warranty. My hyd flat tappet was noisy, wasn’t happy with it, but ran it for a time. Decided to go solid flat tappet. No more hyd for me.

That’s kind of where I’m at with it. I did get a couple or PM messages from Johnny from BP engine which showed his concern and a few suggestions. I thought a lot of that and certainly appreciate everyone else also.

That’s kind of where I’m at with it. I did get a couple or PM messages from Johnny from BP engine which showed his concern and a few suggestions. I thought a lot of that and certainly appreciate everyone else also.
He is a good guy. And honestly does care about his customers being happy with their purchase, and stands behind their products.

Thanks for the reply. I really like the engine far as that goes. It sounds good. Power is great . But I’m sure everyone on here knows what I’m talking about. Everything on your vehicle meets your own standards but you have this “ One Thing” that drives you crazy and you spend what seems like every free moment trying to correct it with no success. This is what the noise is me.

View attachment 1715952250
I also have a BP 408 (1996 magnum with Edelbrock heads, roller hyd lifters, BPE rocker arms) that was noisy. The valve covers they were going to use on the engine were out of stock so they shipped it with the chrome ones. I pulled the VC and saw that the VC baffle was hitting the adjustment nut on the top of one of the rocker arms on both sides. You could see the mark on the baffle. Not sure if that is the issue you're having but I replaced the VC's with cast aluminum ones (a bit taller) and no more issues. Also, I recently adjusted the valves for zero lash. Now the engine just purrs...

Something I didn’t mention as I felt it was insignificant but perhaps it wasn’t?? When it was first suggested that one or more of the rocker arm bolts could be loose. I grabbed a ratchet and starting checking every one of them.
I did put about 1/8-1/4 turn on the #4 exhaust rocker. My torque wrench is old and well used and a lot of improper use to add.

I went out and purchased a new one and proceeded to check them for the proper torque value and all were at least at the desired 25ft lbs possibly more as I didn’t loosen any.

Someone suggested a bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer. I bought a quart of it today and drained and added it to the fresh oil in the engine. It also raised the hot idle oil pressure additional 10psi from 25 to 35 this is with 15w40 Rotella T4 .

Went for a road test and to be honest the noise seems less noticeable. Still there but if not my imagination about 1/2 as pronounced as it was before.

Other than almost a fire from a spraying O ring on the fuel filter housing of a Summit Holley dual inlet line with gauge that covered the manifold and right valve cover in fuel it was an enjoyable drive.

Last edited:
-
Back