418HP 5.9 Magnum

-
Cam or valve lift has a direct impact on HP. A quicker lifting valve does this but also helps with more torque.

Swapping rocker ratios from the 1.7 down to a 1.5 would hurt the overall package. The valves would move slower, lift limited curtails air flow.

How much power would be lost I couldn’t say. Hence my head question.

Haven’t seen you in a while there buddy. Welcome back.

And yes that is ol’skool. And gettin the squeeze in!
Thanks, good to see you too. Just don't have a lot of time these days for hitting the forums. I decided to cut back on it and use that time to build stuff like this. Sorry about the crappy pic quality.
Picture 003.jpg

Too much of a blanket statement there...I know what your saying, however the more I lean on the low lift flow and cam for it, the better our engines run.

I know it is a blanket statement but I wrote that for two reasons:

1. It was late at night and I hate responding to threads on my phone.
2. I knew it would really only go over well with a select few.

J.Rob

What spring/retainer package did you go with? That's some stout valve action and it looks like it rev's nicely to about 6k or so. J.Rob
Just our std. beehive pac spring. It actually went to 6500rpm, but I did not post that...it was done on power, but I like to make sure our hyd. roller stuff will make an over rev to some degree....:rolleyes: cause you know people will push the envelope :eek:

I feel like that .576" lift has something to do with the power production... even though it's a Magnum and putting in a flat-tappet cam is a step backwards what do you think the power would be with similar duration running an FT cam, since max lift would be less?

My understanding of cams vs. power is they just move the torque curve around, which in turn changes HP, to an extent. The total "power put to the ground" over the time the engine pushes the car through the rev range (area under the curve) doesn't change much. But lift affects total power, right? I don't really see guys building 400+ HP engines with .430" lift cams, if the head port can flow well above that...
Similar hyd. cam using the 1.7 rockers, can make close to the same power, solid ft can make as much or more if rpm was a limit. Ofcourse the lift has an impact on power, so does quality machine work, proper components that are matched, etc...

-
Back