426 Hemi into a 67 68 or 9 Notchback Cuda

-

jobenz

Reaction score
Thinking of a notchback Cuda with a 426 Hemi 4 speed. Street car only. Any building ideas before i look for a car or am i totally nuts???????
Thanks in advance
Joe

OK I just went through 921 threads in the engine swap section and NOBODY has ever installed a 426 Hemi in a Notchback Cuda ??????????? Are you kidding me ??????????? NOBODY

OK I just went through 921 threads in the engine swap section and NOBODY has ever installed a 426 Hemi in a Notchback Cuda ??????????? Are you kidding me ??????????? NOBODY
Nope, not even Ma Mopar.........

gonna' be spectacular and maybe a handful to handle, steer and stop?
try to use as much aluminum as you can.

Maybe if you searched the hemi forum instead of the Magnum swaps forum...
Search Results for Query: notchback | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum
The factory built hemi Darts and fastback Barracudas in '68 and people have been cloning them ever since. A notch would present no unique challenges that have not already been addressed.
Just a quick Google search:
upload_2021-8-11_9-51-4.jpeg
upload_2021-8-11_9-51-24.jpeg
OIP._EXWINdf4NxPfo_hyZwbigHaFi?w=245&h=184&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

Edit: I see this has now been moved to General Discussions and out of the Magnum Swaps section. That should help.

Last edited:
Thinking of a notchback Cuda with a 426 Hemi 4 speed. Street car only. Any building ideas before i look for a car or am i totally nuts???????
Thanks in advance
Joe
You're totally nuts!
But that's what makes this hobby fun, right?
There's nothing more badass than a 2nd gen. Hemi and a 4 speed in an A-Body IMHO.

Now, back to reality.
You need to ask yourself (and answer honestly) a lot of questions before you start.
- What's your budget? (You're looking at the 70 K range to do this build properly especially with no body yet)
- What is your actual skill level?
- How much spare time do you have for the build?
- What do you have for tools, shop, etc.?
- What is the intended use of the car? (Race, barely streetable, mild driver, show car?)

That's just a few points.
BTW, there are several posts on here that may answer a lot of build questions.

Good luck, and keep us posted........

Maybe if you searched the hemi forum instead of the Magnum swaps forum...
Thanks, could you send me a few pics of the red notchback ????? jobenz@yahoo.com

Search Results for Query: notchback | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum
The factory built hemi Darts and fastback Barracudas in '68 and people have been cloning them ever since. A notch would present no unique challenges that have not already been addressed.
Just a quick Google search:
View attachment 1715779493View attachment 1715779496View attachment 1715779521

Someone on here has a Hemi in a badass '68 Barracuda convertible

Yeah I'm sittin here tryin to figure out what's different from the firewall forward. I'm sayin nuthin.

Notch and fastback sit on same platform-frame

They are the same car from the firewall forward. Go for it! Hemified "A" bodies are beasts.

Back in the late 70s , in St. CHARLES Mo. There was a 67 cuda notch ,426 Hemi running around town Blown 426. White with blue and pink spider web paint job ! Said. "Bear Bait" on the sides. Anyone here ever see it ?
Used to run it at MAR in Wentzville and maybe Gateway. Sorry no pics

Thanks in advance
Joe
Yes you are Nuts! But I applaud you for it.
You will want to start out with a big block factory car so you have the correct K member and larger radiator support.

-
Back