-

426ohyeah

Old School 340 "Mad Scientist"
Reaction score
IMG_20180608_154924.jpg
IMG_20180504_123010.jpg
IMG_20180409_181807.jpg

Nice!

I like the engine in the living room business. It reminds me of way back in the day when I parked the Harley in the kitchen.

nice what kind of power you making with the 426 ?
what pistons and cam you using ?

I think it’s probably been 30 years for me.
They were on a BBF I was trying to run on the dyno.
The motor would barely run, and the owner couldn’t get them sorted out...... so that test session was a no go.

That’s my one and only personal experience with them.

I think it’s probably been 30 years for me.
They were on a BBF I was trying to run on the dyno.
The motor would barely run, and the owner couldn’t get them sorted out...... so that test session was a no go.

That’s my one and only personal experience with them.

A guy I knew in high school had a pair on a tunnel rammed 327 in an early nova.
I ran a single one on a 360 mopar in a 62 Ford pickup. That was in the mid to late '80s.

Last edited:
As I think more about that BBF situation...... seems it was one of those deals where the owner waited forever for some guru to go thru the carbs for him...... and that’s how it turned out.
No worky.

I seem to recall he made some calls to someone(was predator operational in 1990?), and it was determined some changeable component in the carbs were incorrect for the application.

I seem to recall he made some calls to someone(was predator operational in 1990?)

I worked in a parts store around 87-89, that is when I bought mine. Not sure exactly which year.

A guy I knew in high school had a pair on a tunnel rammed 327 in an early nova.

For some reason that image brought back a couple of memories of some cars I rode in that had TR’s with dual carbs on them.
Two were unbelievable dogs(not the fault of the TR, just god awful combos)...... and the owners thought they were really strong runners.

During the “mind blowing test ride” in one of them I noticed that while driving around in a parking lot....... what the throttle linkage was doing out at the carbs...... seemed to have no direct affect on what the motor was doing.
There was lots of throttle twitching going on....... just to keep it running.

Hopefully that won’t be the OP’s situation.

Summit still had predator carbs in their catalog in the early 90's. Not sure exactly when they went away. I just remember seeing them and thinking how weird they looked.

For some reason that image brought back a couple of memories of some cars I rode in that had TR’s with dual carbs on them.
Two were unbelievable dogs(not the fault of the TR, just god awful combos)...... and the owners thought they were really strong runners.

During the “mind blowing test ride” in one of them I noticed that while driving around in a parking lot....... what the throttle linkage was doing out at the carbs...... seemed to have no direct affect on what the motor was doing.
There was lots of throttle twitching going on....... just to keep it running.

Hopefully that won’t be the OP’s situation.
Used em for ever. Just gotta know predators. Old school man here lol. Thanks for imput -

As I think more about that BBF situation...... seems it was one of those deals where the owner waited forever for some guru to go thru the carbs for him...... and that’s how it turned out.
No worky.

I seem to recall he made some calls to someone(was predator operational in 1990?), and it was determined some changeable component in the carbs were incorrect for the application.
No worky.

Yeah they run on interchangeable cam sets depending on application. Very simple to tune. Mine work unreal. Ran em on everything. Unreal response. No lag or b.s. just rips. Take it easy and more videos and pics to come. Gonna see what this motor is capable of real soon-

Nice!

I like the engine in the living room business. It reminds me of way back in the day when I parked the Harley in the kitchen.
Lol. Mine too. This was a winter build in living room. Wasn't first one either or last. Take care and thanks for comment-

How do I upload videos guys? My old a** don't know how lol. Thanks. I got to show how this thing rips. Your gonna love it-

Lol. Mine too. This was a winter build in living room. Wasn't first one either or last. Take care and thanks for comment-
LOL My dad and uncle built quite a few engines and ported heads in our family room back in the 70's.
They would work on the dirt bikes and Harley's in the winter. lol
The room was in the basement, a place where mom didn't hang out much. lol
The good ole days.

With Predators no doubt. Talk about old school for sure! I love it! Do those at least have the idle circuits on them so street driving will be "easier"? lol I've built a lot of those back when I was building engines for the local mud hole boys.

With Predators no doubt. Talk about old school for sure! I love it! Do those at least have the idle circuits on them so street driving will be "easier"? lol I've built a lot of those back when I was building engines for the local mud hole boys.
No but idles good. lopes around 850 rpmwise. I drive on street. No issues except gas bill lol-

That is a badass machine if you can spin it that high!!!!

650+. Wiseco and custom ground comp cam. Solid roller of course. Thanks for comment
650+ is that without nitrous
650+. Wiseco and custom ground comp cam. Solid roller of course. Thanks for comment
650+ without nitrous ? color me impressed spinning to 8800 rpm damn , you have to let me in on the secret to getting it that high . best i can do before valvetraine quits is 7200

agree on the 340 being the best SB . highest i've seen a 340 well 408 spin is 8000 rpm but not for long just at the end of a run , but that is a pure race car , not street driven . you have to upload videos of the beast in action
can't wait to hear that thing scream

-
Back