426B & 452RB & 471B & 512 B & 522 RB currently underway

-

RAMM

Reaction score
This will be interesting as these builds are currently underway and will be completed within a few months of each other--OK maybe 6-9 months .

The first one out of the gate will be the 512 B wearing the Edelbrock 5090's (which IMO best bang for the buck BBM aluminum cylinder head out there). This one has morphed from a 466 cube deal (4.36" x 3.9") into (4.375" x 4.250") with a small Comp SR and Edelbrock Torker intake (for hood clearance). Very interested in this one as the customer found the previous 466 (665hp/630tq ) a bit too racey for his HEAVY 1970 Charger /4spd/3.91 and I agree it was not an ideal package. I believe the 46 cubes and much tamer heads/intake will be far better suited for him and his driving style.

The second engine to reach completion will be the 452 (4.35" x 3.8") twin SC Torqstorm deal and the hold up on that one is figuring out what cylinder head to use. Either the TF's or some kind of Eddy here. Customer is wanting BIG power out of this one.

The 522 RB (4.36" x 4.375") will be very close behind and the focus here is mondo torque all done by 5500rpm. This is slated for a big dude (very cool dude) with a big car--'79 Magnum. He wants to crush his Chev buddy with a LS powered something or other. This build I'm very interested in as I have never used a 4.375" stroke before and I'm fully expecting close to 700 lb/ft.

The 426 B is for a near/dear friend of mine and is a project that is very unorthodox with its big bore/short stroke long rod architecture. (4.375" x 3.545" x 6.7" rod) Looking for 600hp @ 7000+ RPM for his awesome '72 4spd RR.

The 471 B is a 4.375" x 3.9" deal just to have for sale--no customer for it currently and no timeline so last it will be and it will probably remain a shortblock.

Consider this thread a bit of an overview and maybe one of the mods could link this thread to the other sub-threads for the individual builds themselves so this one doesn't get crazy convoluted. J.Rob

The 426 B combo has my attention , actually they all do. :thumbsup:

The 426 B combo has my attention , actually they all do. :thumbsup:

I agree--the idea of a hi-revving short stroke big bore big block has always intrigued me. This one should rev nicely with a 1.89 rod ratio, solid flat tappet camshaft and the normal oiling mods. The crank was a 383 forging offset ground with 2.200 BBC rod journals--we also have some sweet Mahle Motorsports pistons with their 1.5mm/1.5mm/3mm ring pack and their short stiff .990" pin. I may CNC machine a small conical dish into the piston top--and re-coat with ceramic. This engine will most likely get some heavily modified Pro-Comp castings that feature hollow stem 2.25"/1.81" valves and in the quest for more CC's a CNC'd chamber "softening" . Already have the heads and matching Indy intake--heads flow 350+ and should easily get us where we want to be. Shooting for 11-1 compression and 625hp. J.Rob

I agree--the idea of a hi-revving short stroke big bore big block has always intrigued me. This one should rev nicely with a 1.89 rod ratio, solid flat tappet camshaft and the normal oiling mods. The crank was a 383 forging offset ground with 2.200 BBC rod journals--we also have some sweet Mahle Motorsports pistons with their 1.5mm/1.5mm/3mm ring pack and their short stiff .990" pin. I may CNC machine a small conical dish into the piston top--and re-coat with ceramic. This engine will most likely get some heavily modified Pro-Comp castings that feature hollow stem 2.25"/1.81" valves and in the quest for more CC's a CNC'd chamber "softening" . Already have the heads and matching Indy intake--heads flow 350+ and should easily get us where we want to be. Shooting for 11-1 compression and 625hp. J.Rob

Care to elaborate @33IMP ? J.Rob

Ooooopppss! Scrolling on my phone mistake! I will remove the evil x and delete this post

And besides, im looking at a set of ross pistons, 7.1 rods, and a 4.375 440 source crank in my bedroom, as i type this.....

I was just wondering your thoughts, no harm no foul. Thanks, J.Rob

Building a 471 myself, been interested in offset grinding a 3.38 crank, I already have an extra set of 6.70 rods, guess I need to find a piston that will work

Building a 471 myself, been interested in offset grinding a 3.38 crank, I already have an extra set of 6.70 rods, guess I need to find a piston that will work

Are you trying to build a 471 out of a 3.38" stroke crank? J.Rob

You might be able to get a 451 out of a 3.38, maybe. Depends on how good the crank grinder is. And it would require a 400 block.
I wouldnt bet on it.

Are you trying to build a 471 out of a 3.38" stroke crank? J.Rob
No, oops, I should've wrote "Also" after i said I'm building myself a 471.
I'd like to build a 3.55 stroke 400 block for a street pick up engine

Last edited:

If you're looking for pistons for the 470, Diamond can hook you up. That's what I used with 4.375 bore, 3.900 stroke with 6.760 Manley rod. I think they were listed as semi-custom with a little dish to match the chambers on the Edelbrock heads keeping CR at 10.2:1. Good luck with your build!!

If you're looking for pistons for the 470, Diamond can hook you up. That's what I used with 4.375 bore, 3.900 stroke with 6.760 Manley rod. I think they were listed as semi-custom with a little dish to match the chambers on the Edelbrock heads keeping CR at 10.2:1. Good luck with your build!!
Thanks for the info, I have the 470 figured out 3.915 stroke 6.700 rods & 1.320 pistons, I bought srp pistons from JE.
The pistons I need to figure out is doing an offset "b" crank with 2.20 rod journals & 6.70 rods. I've done the math previously & I think it came out to 1.58 ch (assuming -.010 to square the deck) which there isn't an off the shelf piston. Come to think of it, I'd probably just do a stock stroke 400 with some more squeeze

I believe there are off the shelf pistons from Ross and Icon if you use the shorter Ch*vy rods which gets you the smaller pin and the 2.2 rod journal as well as a CH that is a little more stable in the bore (hopefully keeping the oil ring out of the wrist pin)...

-
Back