440 builds setups

-

MoparMcK

Reaction score
I am in the process of ever so slowly piecing together all the goodies for my 440. I am just curious of what everyone is running out there for setups.

My info.....
72 Demon
8 3/4
4.10 gears
SS springs
subframe connectors
4 speed

As of right now I have a 440 from a RV. Plan to go with the stock rotating assembly, 509 cam, 440 source heads, Mopar dual plane intake, 850 cfm DP, TTI 1 3/4 headers.

I do not want to get too wild with this build. It is primarily a street car but I have always wanted a BB Abody as my Dad had one when I was a little guy. I have been thinking I will be tearing it down completely now, although it is a very low mileage motor, and send the block, crank and rods to the machine shop. Then buy some new pistons. I want to keep it a pump gas motor and no roll bar. car Prefer not to do a stroker motor but if that is the cheaper route so be it. Please share your setups in detail and 440s only. Thanks!!

Mine was a bracket motor but it ran on 91 pump gas. 76 440 with trw six pack pistons, 915 heads 2.14 1.81 valves. home ported. Pistons were .020 in the hole so I used a .020 shim gasket and had a quench motor. 850 dp weiand xcelorator intake and 2in. headers. 3500 stall and 4.30 rear. Sorry. Cam was comp cams 306 .555 magnum with 1.6 rockers. Best times were 6.96 at 100 in the 1/8 mile. Went 11 seasons without a tear down still sitting in the corner of my garage for backup motor. Less cam might bring on detonation. cranking pressure was 175 psi. Car weighed 3500. Good luck!

Mine was a bracket motor but it ran on 91 pump gas. 76 440 with trw six pack pistons, 915 heads 2.14 1.81 valves. home ported. Pistons were .020 in the hole so I used a .020 shim gasket and had a quench motor. 850 dp weiand xcelorator intake and 2in. headers. 3500 stall and 4.30 rear. Sorry. Cam was comp cams 306 .555 magnum with 1.6 rockers. Best times were 6.96 at 100 in the 1/8 mile. Went 11 seasons without a tear down still sitting in the corner of my garage for backup motor. Less cam might bring on detonation. cranking pressure was 175 psi. Car weighed 3500. Good luck!

Thanks!

Anyone else care to share? This isn't a definite setup I will go with, which is why I am asking for other build ideas.

440 source heads

Not sure which 440source heads you were looking at but if you're willing to do some modifying of the blower motor and/or lose the blower motor I'd run TrickFlows. Have them on my stock bottom 78 truck block with a hughes whiplash cam (something else to look at with you keep the stock low compression bottom end) and I'm having fun. :burnout:

My first 440 car was similar to what you are doing now. It went 11.56.

I beam polished my rods myself and had the shot peened, resized and used arp wave loc bolts.

Use the perfomer RPM intake with an HVH super sucker 1" spacer.

I used more head than you.

Same carb.

Stock crank, studded mains.

Not sure which 440source heads you were looking at but if you're willing to do some modifying of the blower motor and/or lose the blower motor I'd run TrickFlows. Have them on my stock bottom 78 truck block with a hughes whiplash cam (something else to look at with you keep the stock low compression bottom end) and I'm having fun. :burnout:

I am going with the stealth heads. They are used, as they were on my Uncle's 500" stroker in his 68 Dart. That being said I do plan to get some work done to them also. Might as well, right? I want to keep the blower motor as I will drive this when a heater is useful being I live in South Dakota.

I am going with the stealth heads. They are used, as they were on my Uncle's 500" stroker in his 68 Dart. That being said I do plan to get some work done to them also. Might as well, right? I want to keep the blower motor as I will drive this when a heater is useful being I live in South Dakota.

They a few different "stealth" heads. Main difference is if they are CNC ported. If they are CNCed they are good heads. The bare cast ones are fine for stock-mild builds in my opinion.

The ones I will be buying are not the CNC'd ones, but since they are a few years old I plan to have them worked over also. So should see gains there you would think.

-
Back