440 Cam Selection

-

jeeper

Reaction score
I am finally preparing to finish off my BB Dart Sport that has been back burnered for the last 9 months.

Here is what the car is:

440-re-ringed smogger bottom end
Windage tray
452 castings-bowls cleaned up
7.8:1 stock compression
SD intake

727 with a factory HS convertor from an aspen RT
4.10's
Subframe connectors
Drag Shocks

Schumacher headers with a 3" exhaust and dumps

I know the compression is too low. It is what I have for now.

I am wanting it to run pretty strong but still be streetable.

Here is my existing cam:

Hughes 223-230 .504-.519 or so.

It is a pretty decent cam for what I am doing, but if I can pick up a few horses, I would be willing to look at others.

Thanks, ROB

So it is the same with what you have now. Since the ratio is in the basement, why care.

Through sheer cubic inchs, it'll move. If you want to try to keep the cyl. presure up, try a Crane cam with a 112 C-line.

I am trying to get the car set up correctly for the BB. I think for now I'll run it unless something really good falls from the sky!

I know the engine isn't ideal. However it will work for now using brute cubes if nothing else. I don't mind tearing the car down again in the winter, since I can't drive it for almost 6 months. My driveway has literally 2' of water in it right now!

I'm trying to set up a decent fuel system etc . and that type of thing so that when I do get a real engine I am good to go.

Thanks for your help Robert. I am still here, just distracted with my usual 4x4 stuff that is not of much interest here.

We are completing a modest remodel on an 82 CJ-5, while working on a rather unconventional Toyota/Jeep hybrid also.

Have a good week, I get to go to a conference all week.

ROB

-
Back