440 Crank in a 383

-

eschroeder1

A-body Freak
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello A body folks,

I'm new to tricking out Mopars and I wanted to get some technical advice from ya. I heard on a Nick's Garage Youtube video that you can stroke out a 383 by putting a 440 crank and cam in it. Is that true? If so, what are the specs for the crank and cam I would need to get ahold of? I'm not looking to run the car on the strip just a fast street cruiser.

Eric

Yes it’s true but what needs to be done to the crank is a little machine work starting on the counter weights in order to clear everything.
Once the counter weights clear the block, and the journals are addressed and etc…. it’ll drop in. The 440 cranks stroke is (IIRC) 3.75.

On a camshaft, there is no one specific camshaft for this.
That’s actually ridiculous.
Choosing a camshaft for what you are planning for the engine and car’s performance is a starting point.

The harder thing about this is, if I’m correct, is pistons.

@fishmens67 is a fella here that can guide you well in this endeavor.

As Rumble said, cam has nothing to do with making it a stroker.
There's two ways to approach using a 440 crank in a low deck:
1.) Have the crank's mains (2.75) ground down to 383/400 size (2.625).
2.) Line bore the 383 block to the 440 size so you can run 440 main bearings.
Either way, there'll be some clearance grinding needed at the bottom of the cylinders and probably at the oil pickup boss.
Then you need to decide if you're going to run the short B rod or the longer RB rod. Each has it's peculiarities as far as pin placement and skirt relief depths go.
This was popular before low cost stroker kits became commonly available- which begs the question: Why go through all the machining cost/wait time/custom parts procurement ordeal when ready made, pre-engineered (all the parts will work together), and already balanced stoker kits are commonly available at a lower cost than what you can piece together and recondition out of 50 year old parts?

Hello A body folks,

I'm new to tricking out Mopars and I wanted to get some technical advice from ya. I heard on a Nick's Garage Youtube video that you can stroke out a 383 by putting a 440 crank and cam in it. Is that true? If so, what are the specs for the crank and cam I would need to get ahold of? I'm not looking to run the car on the strip just a fast street cruiser.

Eric
You can buy all the stroker stuff off the shelf.
You can get a 440 crank ground to fit a 383 like already mentioned or just buy one brand new.
Any size stroke from 3.750, 3.915, 4.150, 4.250.
Will fit a b- engine.

Hello A body folks,

Eric
Don't listen to Nick. lol by the time you have a 440 crank prepped you'll be a 1/3 way to the cost of a kit.
440 Source has a kit for $ 2600, kit includes everything you need, a balanced rotating assembly/ prepped drop in crank, pistons, rings, rods and bearings for $2600 or so.
Your block will need to be sonic tested, decked, line honed and bored. Some minor clearance at bottom of cylinders is required in most cases.
Kit # 383.438.5040 will yield 438 cubes. 10.1 comp with a 78cc head.
Your prepped 375 stroke crank and either Ross 99894 or Icon ic513 piston with a 440 rod and balancing.
Do yourself a favor, get off youtube, don't listen to Nick.

You can buy all the stroker stuff off the shelf.
You can get a 440 crank ground to fit a 383 like already mentioned or just buy one brand new.
Any size stroke from 3.750, 3.915, 4.150, 4.250.
Will fit a b- engine.
I think 438 is about all I'd go with the 383.
Bore size being my determining factor.
To be frank, I would just use a 400 block knowing I could use a 2.25" int valve without issue. lol cubes to the max if I wanted.

I think 438 is about all I'd go with the 383.
Bore size being my determing factor.
To be frank, I would just use a 400 block knowing I could use a 2.25" int valve without issue. lol cubes to the max if I wanted.
Yeah I agree, if the op can find one that's what I'd do too 400 block or nothing

Nick's actually a good guy. His recommendations are good. It's just that he operates with pretty deep pockets and rather than following along with 100%, there are usually more economical ways to do the same thing he's doing.

Last edited:
There is NO WAY I’d “stroke” a 383 and give up bore size.

Thats nUtZ.
Agreed. Theres always the sleeve fix, which I'll be figuring out soon, to start out close to 4.40 in a 400 block, if I have a junk 383 I'd see how far the bore will go before it breaks into water.

Agreed. Theres always the sleeve fix, which I'll be figuring out soon, to start out close to 4.40 in a 400 block, if I have a junk 383 I'd see how far the bore will go before it breaks into water.

Have your boss buy you a sonic tester. I really, REALLY need one myself but it’s a great tool for a nondestructive way of finding thicknesses of matériels.

To be honest....
...if I had a 383, I would not bother with any stroker kit smaller than the 4.25. You'd get 496 inches, EXACTLY the same bore stroke ratio as the beloved 454 Chevy stroker combo.
But I wouldn't bother stroking a 383 (certainly not with a 440 crank for only 433 inches) unless I could combine it with a set of good/really good heads. 240 or 270 trick Flow would be my choice.
Edit: yes, I know a 400 would be better. I'm working from the premise of HAVING a 383, and NOT having a 400.

There is NO WAY I’d “stroke” a 383 and give up bore size.

Thats nUtZ.
Sometimes, you just work with what ya got.

Going with the 440 crank alone makes it a 425.59, might as well round it up to 426.
4.15 crank is a 470.98
4.25 crank is a 482.33

Any stroking is a good move for power. I liken the 383 to a big small block with the engines short stroke.

Sometimes, you just work with what ya got.

Going with the 440 crank alone makes it a 425.59, might as well round it up to 426.
4.15 crank is a 470.98
4.25 crank is a 482.33

Any stroking is a good move for power. I liken the 383 to a big small block with the engines short stroke.
.... and you get 489 with the typical. 030 overbore with the 4.25 crank, and 496 with a +.060.
Edit: almost forgot.... get the stroker kit (whichever size crank) with the bbc crank pin. Better rod selection, less grinding at the bottom of the bores for clearance, much lighter piston/piston pin.
Lighten the reciprocating assy enough, and it will still rev like a 383......

Last edited:
I’ve got the 440source 438 stroker kit in my 68 383 Barracuda and I really like it.

Actually it’s 436 CI with a .030 overbore and 3.75 inch stroke.

I used a 383 block & 440 crank back in the 80s. 383s were sold here in Dodges, 400s were never sold here, so very rare. I used the 383 rods because I like the shorter rod/stroke ratio.

I used a 383 block & 440 crank back in the 80s. 383s were sold here in Dodges, 400s were never sold here, so very rare. I used the 383 rods because I like the shorter rod/stroke ratio.
A friend of mine built one a few years ago. He got the modified crank from me.

Yes it’s true but what needs to be done to the crank is a little machine work starting on the counter weights in order to clear everything.
Once the counter weights clear the block, and the journals are addressed and etc…. it’ll drop in. The 440 cranks stroke is (IIRC) 3.75.

On a camshaft, there is no one specific camshaft for this.
That’s actually ridiculous.
Choosing a camshaft for what you are planning for the engine and car’s performance is a starting point.

The harder thing about this is, if I’m correct, is pistons.

@fishmens67 is a fella here that can guide you well in this endeavor.
On Nicks Garage I think he also used different connecting rods also not sure if it was for a specific reasonv he didnt go to heavy into the build. It was 383 bored .40 over and made a 426 out of it

I reckon the bore is way too small for a stroker 383?
When you fit decent 'BIG VALVE' heads on, the valves are badly shrouded before you start!
I have the same set up with a 400 block, biggest bore in a low deck deck screamer...
Pistons and rods off the shelf no drama's lol...

The car in the avatar had a 400 block done by Koffels.
547 cubes and made 900hp with Indy heads on pump gas...

-
Back