440 duster

-

440guy

Reaction score
I have a 72 duster with a slant six ans I have a 440 I am wanting to put in it ho whard is it? can i use factory exhaust manifolds? will i have to switch the crossmember? I will be using a 727 tourqeflight . what about engine mounts i alreadt know bout the oil pan but im kinda low on cash im just trying to get by the sheapest way possible. thanks

Here's mine.
bbdem.jpg

bbdem1.jpg

bbdem2.jpg

And the first one I did

engdart.jpg

Factory 440 manifolds hit the steering linkage, and frequently, the passenger side inner fender, at a minimum.

Headers.... Schumacher, CPPA, and Tube Technologies are the common ones. Hooker and Hedman make fenderwell units.

how come the factory 440 manifolds wont work?? or mounts?? or where can you buy the headers @

Factory 440 A Body manifolds are expensive, hard to find and dont flow well.

Factory BB mounts require a a BB K frame. Also hard to find and expensive.

The Schumacher mounts and there Tri Y headers are the easiest way to go. There are other header option but they are harder to install.

You are planning to upgrade the brakes also, aren't you?
And the rear. the original 6cyl one won't last for long.
Just remember. Safety First.
If you drive it on the street, you will probably want to change the torsion bars also, as the 6cyl ones make for some interesting handling #-o:pale:

With the pro parts headers you have to cut the inner fenders a small amount. Two tubes exit on the drivers side, and one on the passenger side.
demhole.jpg

infenruf.jpg

you should put a heat shield under the master cylinder to keep the headers from boiling the brake fluid. It's not fun when that happens.

Where abouts are you located?

Proparts is probably the best compromise of power and fit for exhaust.

The 2" TTIs are a tight fit though. Theres also the Mad Dog Headers.

LaFollette Tn. yea i got to upgrade the breaks anyways becaouse im going to put a set of crager wheels on it so i'll need all the big bolt stuff. Thanks for all the pictures that will help me out i kinda hate to see the slant 6 go because its a new jegs engine and sounds like it has a all right size cam in it it has an offnhouser intake with a holly 4bbl and a circle track hedder from mopar on it i got the car from my sisters husband and they did all that and never drove it just fired it up lol so the engine and trans is new and 0 mile but i will have no use for it

-
Back