440 fresh overhaul. $2000.00 Should I buy it?

-

iScamp

Reaction score
So, what really sets off this overhaul as a cut above the rest for you?

Link doesn't work because it's a Member only forum on Marketplace. Shame. Great description. Very thorough. :rolleyes:

440 overhaul 1.jpg

440 overhaul 2.jpg

Unless they can prove to you what all has been done, plus you can't even hear it run right now. I personally wouldn't give that price for it.
I don't know, man. There are some clues that suggest the kind of work he did. The dented oil filter, spark plug painted orange, spark plug wire with the end missing. O.k. so maybe it hasn't been run, yet. But, I'm sure the chain is attached so he can put it on a test cell or dyno. :poke: Maybe it's a typo and he meant to say $200.00 because that's all that engine is. A core that needs rebuilding.

P.S. This is going in my file: Craigslist Crackheads.
Sellers description: 440 overhaul, comp cams Thumper! Headwork..has car oil pan on it now..

I don't know, man. There are some clues that suggest the kind of work he did. The dented oil filter, spark plug painted orange, spark plug wire with the end missing. O.k. so maybe it hasn't been run, yet. But, I'm sure the chain is attached so he can put it on a test cell or dyno. :poke: Maybe it's a typo and he meant to say $200.00 because that's all that engine is. A core that needs rebuilding.

P.S. This is going in my file: Craigslist Crackheads.
Sellers description: 440 overhaul, comp cams Thumper! Headwork..has car oil pan on it now..
I just looked at the surroundings and thought "there's no way this thing has had anything but a paint done to it."

Some value is for the truck specific parts. Oil pan (if it is a truck pan, dip stick might be wrong for a truck), engine mounts, Pullys and front bracket stuff and exhaust manifolds. The remainder is maybe worth something.

Last edited:
Well, paint HAS gotten pretty expensive lately...
And those chrome valve covers easily add another 50 h.p.

Man, Y'all are Cheap Asses! I KNOW WHAT that Big Bore Cheb, For.....d. um..
DODGE MAN. that's what it was! Besides, I had told You it needed a tune up!

Don't be an idiot like I was about 2 years ago and get caught up in a supposed rebuild that was not as such... My fault as I was in too big of a hurry in life due to work obligations....

However if you must, do this (and it is my protocol but broke my own life rule which is trust nobody!)

A-Valve covers off
B-Release rockers and check leakdown. I don't care if it hasn't been run or not. Look for consistency.
C- Borescope in the cylinders
D- Oil pan removal inspect

If the seller is not willing to do this either walk away or play the Lottery. If it works out congratulations..... If not, proceed to the nearest mirror and there is the person to blame.

Oh, if you have a trust worthy engine friend a second sets of eyes always helps....

Good luck,
JW

-
Back