440 into A body and power steering?/

-

Alberto

Reaction score
Hello All,
When installing a 440 into an A body (71 Scamp) and using the Schumacher motor mounts and a small block "K" frame, can the power steering box remain? Or do I have to switch to manual steering.. And if the power steering can stay, are headers out of the equation??
Thank You ...AL
(would a six cylinder "K" frame be better??)

Alberto.... i am very interested in your question also...

i am building a M-Code 69 Cuda and will be installing a 440 which the car came with. because of the weight of a 440, i'm going to try and put power steering on the car hopefully using the OEM 69 power steering box. when the factory had the special M-Code cars built, they started with a 383 car and then swapped the 440 for the 383. i understand that the 383 K frame is different from the 340 one. AND i believe the 6 cylinder K frame is even different from these two.

i'm going to use the 383 K frame in my car and attempt to install the power steering. i also want to use headers for my car as the "original" manifolds were rediculous in their design and very restrictive. i'm going to try and find a set of "69 headers" like Hooker or Hedman to make the car as "period correct" as possible. i know TTI make a set of headers for a 440 A body that are suppose to fit pretty well.

so all you "big block" techs out there... can you put power steering in an A body with a 440?

Don't know about your combination of parts, but I've fit a 440 and power steering by copying the DC K-frame, using B-Body HP manifolds, and a right angle return line fitting off the box like what's used on cop car steering boxes instead of the 45 deg. one that is more common.

we did a power steering 440 67 dart years ago using pro parts headers.. plugs were a ***** but do able.

Yup you can. First-hand experience on a 1970 Dodge Dart.. I had power steering but decided to remove it 4 the weight Factor an old-school feel.. I'm building a Hotrod...it all depends on what headers you use it is very tight but it works and spark plugs on the passenger side number four and six have to be done from the bottom.
Everything is "tight" but that's just the way I like it..
20170507_094823.jpg

Can be done. required spacers to lift the engine slightly and tweaking of the pressure line.
Edit - pic is a 383 and the HP manidold was milled slightly. A 440 would be easier and probably wouldn't need any line tweaking. '68 Barracuda with factory slant 6 K frame and Schumachers.
IMG_0343.JPG

Headers are no problem with Schumachers. Not sure about PS.

Headers are no problem with Schumachers. Not sure about PS.
Yup you can. First-hand experience on a 1970 Dodge Dart.. I had power steering but decided to remove it 4 the weight Factor an old-school feel.. I'm building a Hotrod...it all depends on what headers you use it is very tight but it works and spark plugs on the passenger side number four and six have to be done from the bottom.
View attachment 1715048339
I know the OP does not want to spend money for custom headers. But this is what it gets you.RB, motor With raised exhaust Port heads. 2 1/8" to 2 1/4" step headers. Easiest access to plugs I've ever had in any of my cars!!
View attachment 1715048339

KIMG0471.jpg

KIMG0470.jpg

With the exception on the 3rd one back on the passenger side, TTI's are no big deal. For that plug you just cut a small access hole

-
Back