440 k frame member

-

dustdevil

Reaction score
hi guys im going to be installing a 440 in my 73 duster. now i know i have to change the k-member but this subject is new to me, where do i get one...is this something i can buy new in stead of pullin it off some car and if not what kind of car do i pull it from? please help there's a whole lot of imports begg'n to get spanked.:)

Which k-member do you have now. There were only two available in 1973, /6 and small block. If you have a small block k-member go to www.bigblockdart.com and find the tech pages and read the article on building your own DC (Direct Connection) K-member. Then all you'll need are 74-78 big block spool mounts.

If you have a /6 k-member, it's up to you on whether you want to buy a k-member to modify or just get Schumacher mounts.

dustdevil said:
hi guys im going to be installing a 440 in my 73 duster. now i know i have to change the k-member but this subject is new to me, where do i get one...is this something i can buy new in stead of pullin it off some car and if not what kind of car do i pull it from? please help there's a whole lot of imports begg'n to get spanked.:)

I'd recommend going to www.engine-swaps.com. They have a section on identifying which K member you have, but as said you can purchase their mounts and go with your existing K member. I put a 383 in my Demon with the existing /6 member using their mounts.

the duster is a 73 sport coupe with a 318 and 904 tranny. i have not pull the 318 out yet still having fun with it till the 440 and 727 tranny is ready. then got to find a rear end but thats another story. 74-78 spools?

Go look at the article on converting your k-member. The mounts show up on e-bay from time to time. It's also possible that the 440 you have already has them (if it came out of a 74-78 passenger car).

my 440 came out of a 72 d100..the spool mounts will also need to be changed as well? oh and what about front suspenion does it need something to manage the 440 block? bear with me guys im learing more as we go :)

The car should already have disc brakes, but does it have a sway bar? If not, for a street car it really is nearly mandatory. I would also add larger torsion bars and stiffer rear springs. You will also likely need to upgrade the rear, although an 8-1/4 will withstand some power. You just may not like the gears that are in it.

yes she does have disc brakes up front but no sway bar i will start lookn for a sway and larger torsion bars. yeh the rear end is also something i need to look for but im having trouble locating a 8 3/4 rear end. thanx guys for all the info

-
Back