440 k-member+engine dolly

-

440seven

Reaction score
About to be ready to swap my 440 in and I wanted to try to put it in from underneath on the dolly with front end assembled, rotors and all. Anybody have any pics of there DIY setup? I've got a few dollys around but kinda wanting to see how others made their dolly before I dive off in it.

I used a Harbor freight Dolly and a few 2x4's. Took 10 min to install the engine, trans and K with a cherry picker and a floor jack.

That's what I'm planning on doing but curious how everyone did their dollies. I'm probably overthinking it but thinking my oil pan will hit the ground when I set it on the dolly unless I block it.

IMG_2346.JPG
IMG_2209.JPG
SB, and not a great pic but made one out of 2x4's. Doubled them up, the k frame sat on the dolly with the oil pan in the open center. Has a leg going toward the back that supports the trans on a 4x4 block. Can get better pics tomorrow if you want them

i just used a single harbor freight wheel dolly under the k frame. used a floor jack under trans crossmember. i used a forklift to lift the front end, but a cherry picker will do just fine. dont overthink this one, it's pretty easy..

View attachment 1715084687 View attachment 1715084688 SB, and not a great pic but made one out of 2x4's. Doubled them up, the k frame sat on the dolly with the oil pan in the open center. Has a leg going toward the back that supports the trans on a 4x4 block. Can get better pics tomorrow if you want them

What part of the car are you lifting? I can only invision the hood latch crossmember

I ran a chain down each side, it hooked onto the front frame rail (?). Not sure if that is the correct description, but the frame member that goes up to the bumpers. I am not sure if it was needed, but I then put a 2x4 between the two frame rails so they don't pull in. I also put the back wheels on ramps, and use a ratchet strap to secure them to the ramp. Attaching another picture with the front in the air, again not the best to see the attach points of the chain but you can see how high you can get the car. Takes a bunch of time to get everything unhooked and disconnected, but the engine going in and out really takes about 15 minutes. On mine the only place that would catch is the shifter stop bolts would catch on a lip of a support in the trans tunnel. Otherwise it drops straight down, and straight back up to put it back in. I also got 2 6 inch bolts the same size as the k frame bolts, cut the heads off and put them in the frame rails to use as guides when putting the k frame back in.
IMG_0994.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks. I reckon I'll just double up some 2x's like you did on my existing dolly. should give me plenty of room to clear the oil pan.

I ran a chain down each side, it hooked onto the front frame rail (?). Not sure if that is the correct description, but the frame member that goes up to the bumpers. I am not sure if it was needed, but I then put a 2x4 between the two frame rails so they don't pull in. I also put the back wheels on ramps, and use a ratchet strap to secure them to the ramp. Attaching another picture with the front in the air, again not the best to see the attach points of the chain but you can see how high you can get the car. Takes a bunch of time to get everything unhooked and disconnected, but the engine going in and out really takes about 15 minutes. On mine the only place that would catch is the shifter stop bolts would catch on a lip of a support in the trans tunnel. Otherwise it drops straight down, and straight back up to put it back in. I also got 2 6 inch bolts the same size as the k frame bolts, cut the heads off and put them in the frame rails to use as guides when putting the k frame back in. View attachment 1715084893
What a great color on the car!

-
Back