440 Source Head Opinions?

-
Uh, I guess we dont' speak the same language because you make no sense. If you have a cylinder head that flows X amount and you have a cam that doesnt allow that cylinder head to flow the number then they are worthless. You get it now? SMH some people
No I don't get it.

Help me understand!

Do I need a different cylinder head for every camshaft change I make or my system is worthless? Must I change cams if I change cylinder heads or I'm completely wrong?

If my 440 is making 522 lb-ft and 540 HP @ 5,700 rpm with ported 346 iron heads and a XE285HL cam using solid lifters.....and I change to a set of Indy EZ heads flowing 360 cfm @ .700".........and using the same cam the 440 now makes 548 lb-ft and 585 HP @ 6,000 rpm and 595 HP @ 6,500 the whole experiment is worthless? I've wasted my time?

Please explain the truth to me! I'm totally confused and lost here.

I think what most guys struggle with is building a COMBO. When you go with a bigger better flowing head you have to go with a bigger cam to see big improvements. Little cam, little improvement. Kinda like building a balls to the wall combo and running a super holeshot converter.

I think what most guys struggle with is building a COMBO. When you go with a bigger better flowing head you have to go with a bigger cam to see big improvements. Little cam, little improvement. Kinda like building a balls to the wall combo and running a super holeshot converter.
IQ52^^^^^^^^ read this^^^^^^ he speaks my language and understands- you dont. You put a high flow intake on low flowing stock type cylinder heads and then put too large headers, what do you think will happen? Every combo will have different set up to get the best performance. Do you understand that??????????

I've gotten it all along. You're speaking in absolutes and perfection. I've been speaking in incrementals, using what you have without spending a boat load of money and being content with it.

You're a world record holder and I'm some clown in a mountain valley town in Idaho, population 1081, with his own Super Flow engine dyno and cheap old flow bench who just likes to mess around with mismatched parts he can scrounge up that still produce a performance increase.

And certainly somebody understands I've been jerking your perfect combination, best performance chain.

Jim, I kinda figured the 787hp pump gas 451 would have been a dead giveaway.

Apparently you’re not well known in the Mazda rotary circle.

Personally, I’ve always enjoyed the stories from your adventures at the engine build competitions.

Last edited:
I've gotten it all along. You're speaking in absolutes and perfection. I've been speaking in incrementals, using what you have without spending a boat load of money and being content with it.

You're a world record holder and I'm some clown in a mountain valley town in Idaho, population 1081, with his own Super Flow engine dyno and cheap old flow bench who just likes to mess around with mismatched parts he can scrounge up that still produce a performance increase.

And certainly somebody understands I've been jerking your perfect combination, best performance chain.[/QUOT

And certainly somebody understands I've been jerking your perfect combination, best performance chain.

LMAO, yeah you got me......

Better workmanship than edelbrock and cheap right up my alley.

Great point I think needs re-emphasized, far more complaints and reports of bad workmanship and materials in Edelbrock heads than Stealths. I got a set of used Edelbrocks for my 360 and my machinist needed to do EVERYthing to them... said the factory valve job was garbage, core shift in the ports, guides too tight, "these won't run much better than cleaned-up stock heads".

Just because it's made in USA doesn't mean it's good, and just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's junk. Chinese factories build what the company specs, no more no less. I still prefer USA-made but not when the quality is worse than comparable Chinese "junk" AND at a higher price to boot! Like was said Edelbrock is a giant conglomerate, they don't care about the customer just their bottom line. Another part of the paradox of "buying American", business practices here for large companies tend to range from bad to terrible with the focus on short-term profits as opposed to long-term stability and market share.

In Japan it's part of their culture to stand behind what they make, too bad Americans still haven't figured it out after 60+ years of getting our asses handed to us in efficient manufacturing of quality products. Next daily driver I buy will most likely be Japanese, I've seen how American cars are designed and built these days I'm not wasting my money on stuff that's intended to completely disintegrate after 150k miles.

Maybe its just me but the whole point to installing aluminum cylinder heads is to get a big performance gain over the stock cast iron set up with horsepower and weight savings. In order to do that you would most likely have to change carb, intake, cam and lifters and exhaust system. Why would one buy stock style aluminum cylinder heads like the stealth heads if your only going to gain 15-17 horsepower? If I just want a cheap daily driver then I would buy a good set of used cast iron heads for a fraction of the cost. Heres an example. You can find really good deals out there.
upload_2022-4-6_15-7-34.png

Maybe its just me but the whole point to installing aluminum cylinder heads is to get a big performance gain over the stock cast iron set up with horsepower and weight savings. In order to do that you would most likely have to change carb, intake, cam and lifters and exhaust system. Why would one buy stock style aluminum cylinder heads like the stealth heads if your only going to gain 15-17 horsepower? If I just want a cheap daily driver then I would buy a good set of used cast iron heads for a fraction of the cost. Heres an example. You can find really good deals out there.
View attachment 1715902570
Then you rebuild.
Now your at the same cost of 440source aluminum heads but you still have to port to get that 15 more HP.

Besides we all don't have deep pockets for state of the art super sucker top fuelie heads

Then you rebuild.
Now your at the same cost of 440source aluminum heads but you still have to port to get that 15 more HP.

Besides we all don't have deep pockets for state of the art super sucker top fuelie heads

The add I posted the cylinder heads are already ported, also may not need to be fully rebuild. Guides and seats and valves might be ok. Like I said you can find a lot of good deals out there.

The Stealth head is the best bang for the buck.
I'm very skeptical about $ 450 ported heads
I think it's closer to 2 grand for a fresh set of ported iron, probably more.
280 cfm from a cleaned up set of Stealth heads is a better deal to me.
at 280 cfm the stealth is capable of much more than 15hp.

The Stealth head is the best bang for the buck.
I'm very skeptical about $ 450 ported heads
I think it's closer to 2 grand for a fresh set of ported iron, probably more.
280 cfm from a cleaned up set of Stealth heads is a better deal to me.
at 280 cfm the stealth is capable of much more than 15hp.
2 grand lol

2 grand lol
I have a 440 for a future project. If you have good cast heads that flow 280 (paper work needed), valve springs good to .600 lift and ready to bolt on, for 450 bucks, let me know. I'll pay shipping.

Hey to each his own but you guys that buy cheap Chinese junk and criticize our government for making a deal with them are just hypocrites, all the cranks, rods, intakes, ignitions and heads you buy are buying jobs from American workers and strength from our country but you don’t care about that.
My original point was the value in paying the difference is real and larger that you realize…
Well I'm in Canada so whether I buy American or Chinese all that's available to me is foreign.

2 grand lol
So you think I'm off base ?
Take a set of old iron heads to your favorite professional shop.
Shop labor at $ 100 or so an hour and parts.
Do the math, it's going to add up quick
Don't forget pressure testing and flow bench time.

So you think I'm off base ?
Take a set of old iron heads to your favorite professional shop.
Shop labor at $ 100 or so an hour and parts.
Do the math, it's going to add up quick
Don't forget pressure testing and flow bench time.
AND you are a VERY regular customer you MIGHT get that local machine shop to agree to do those iron heads for you. If you have a YEAR or so to wait…Swingn’

2 grand lol
Ultimately,
Why are you even posting in this thread ?
You have nothing positive to add.
I don't know you and have never read anything you've posted accept in here ?
What I do know is IQ52 and he did impeccable work on 2 sets of cylinder heads for Mr.
He was awesome to deal with very personable and if he hadn't retired I would have had him do more.
From my perspective you come across as arrogant and more like the ultimate douche !!
I have a pair of stealth that I recently had ported.
Have not ran them yet.
I also feel stealth are the best bang for the buck.
Plus as mentioned they appear stock if you paint them.
I know several people who run them with great results.

Last edited:
Around here for customer supplied big block MOPAR iron heads.......when we quit doing them. Depending upon the quality of parts used. Cleaning the heads, valves 2.14-2.20/1.81, springs, retainers, locks, seals, valve guides, hard exhaust seats, milling = approximately $830-$1,415.

Plus the valve job & porting to the level of flow you want! $700-$2,000

Ultimately,
Why are you even posting in this thread ?
You have nothing positive to add.
I don't know you and have never read anything you've posted accept in here ?
What I do know is IQ52 and he did impeccable work on 2 sets of cylinder heads for Mr.
He was awesome to deal with very personable and if he hadn't retired I would have had him do more.
From my perspective you come across as arrogant and more like the ultimate double!
I have a pair of stealth that I recently had ported.
Have not ran them yet.
I also feel stealth are the best bang for the buck.
Plus as mentioned they appear stock if you paint them.
I know several people who run them with great results.
Sorry, if I dont post all positive feedbacks on things you like, sorry thats not how the real world works.
You guys can go ahead an knock yourselves out by buying cheap POS China made crap!!!!!!! BTW- if your dumb enough to spend 2grand on building cast iron heads then I guess these heads are right up your alley

-
Back